• Page:

TOPIC:

Quickest way to see jet size 01 Sep 2006 19:50 #73983

• BradL45
  • BradL45's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my KZ650, I'm working through some electrical trouble shooting here:

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,73792/catid,4/

I need to also see what needles and jets I have in my carbs. What would be the eaisyest way to do this without yanking the carbs out of the bike? I'm hoping I can just drop a bowl, or yank the top off after I remove the fuel tank.

Here is a picture of my carbs:

Thanks

Brad
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quickest way to see jet size 01 Sep 2006 20:53 #73991

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18321

You might be able to find STOCK jet size by going through this thread. Otherwise if you have a shorty phillips and a small short flathead and your REAL careful you should be able to get a jet out to see it without taking the carbs off. For getting the bowl off a stubby ratcheting phillips would work best. You can set up a small socket wrench with a phillips screw bit in also. The main jet, you are going to want a wider flathead screwdriver, but for the secondary you are going to a small narrow flathead. Be careful as the come out so you dont drop them.

Quickest way to see jet size 01 Sep 2006 21:24 #73996

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Well, it is a hassle to remove a slide to look at your jet needle with the carbs on the bike. You can remove the four carb tops. Remove the keeper plate located between 1&2 carbs by removing the 5mm phillips head screw. Take out the two end rubber caps. Then remove the five 5mm hex head bolts. Now you can slide the throttle rod over one way or the other so you can pull out two slides at a time without pulling the rod all the way out. Once you get a slide out, remove the 3mm phillips head screws that hold the slide to the slide actuator using a VERY GOOD #2 phillips screwdriver.

You can remove one of the outside bowls using a short phillips head screwdriver. You will need a very small flat blade screwdriver to pull out the pilot jet and just use an 8mm socket to remove the main jet holder which will have the main jet on it.

Like I said, doing this with the carb off the bike is about a zillion times easier. Your carbs are fairly early VM24 w/pilot air screws. I suspct they will have #102 mains, #15 pilots and 5DL31-4 jet needles but I could be wrong since there are a BUNCH of variations; plus somebody could have modified the jetting over the years.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: