Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carbs leaking like crazy after cleaning them 20 Aug 2006 14:55 #71143

• Frazzles
  • Frazzles's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I cleaned my carburettors yesterday and then put them back in. I turned the gas line back on, and about 20 seconds later i noticed something was dripping out then it was a steady stream and it was the hoses that lead from the float bowls of the carburettors. Gas was just pouring out of them. Nothing came out of them before i cleaned them. Did i screw something up? What can i do to stop the leaking, besides run out of gas, just kidding.

Thanks for any help.

Edward

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carbs leaking like crazy after cleaning them 20 Aug 2006 16:15 #71153

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Frazzles. Been there...done that...got the gas stains on my driveway as evidence.

Here is my suggestion. Get the bike as upright as you can without it tipping over. It doesn't look like you have a center stand so put a 3" brick under the side stand. Get yourself beside the bike on the left and turn the fuel petcock on as you give the float bowls a light tap with a screwdriver handle or rubber mallet. If the leaking stops then you have a float bowl that is sticking or installed in an incorrect manner (upside down.)

If the float bowls are correctly installed you may have some dirt that is preventing the needle from seating properly and closing the fuel flow.

It doesn't sound like too serious of a problem to repair. Just make sure you don't run the bike if the carbs are still pissing fuel.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
1977 Kz650 Custom. 14,000 miles. 810 Wiseco with lottsa go fast goodies.
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Carbs leaking like crazy after cleaning them 22 Aug 2006 17:58 #71682

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Did you put your floats in upside down. It happens.:whistle: Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• Page: