Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ500 will not idle 31 Jul 2006 16:45 #66172

• Kevin65
  • Kevin65's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just found this forum a week or so ago and after reading through the old posts I cant seem to find a solution to my bikes problem.
It is a 1984 LTD550F1 and it will not idle. It will fire up and run over 3000 rpms with the choke on, but as soon as the revs drop it dies. I then have to wait 10 or 20 minutes before it will start again. This bike sat for two years and due to a stripped drain bolt head one of the float bowls was not drained. I disassembled the carbs and used compressed air to clean them and everything seems to be clear. Also have checked compression and spark and all seems fine - 150 PSI all around. Also, all four cylinders do not run all the time and the one or two not firing switch around.
I had the bike at the local dealer (where my Father in law originally purchased the bike) and after three weeks told me they did not like to work on bikes more than five years old - Huh? I wish they had said that before I dropped it off.
If anybody can suggest anything it would be appreciated as I am stumped.

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ500 will not idle 31 Jul 2006 16:57 #66173

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds like carbs...oh wait...welcome to the site and we like pictures!

Your pilot jets are your idle circuit and your main jets are for higher rpm's. If the choke is working properly, then you may have clogged pilot (idle air mix screws) jets or passages. It is really common for debris...even tiny stuff to plague carbs that have been sitting for awhile. If your idle/air mixture screws are not blocked off (from the factory) then you can adjust them all the same...say, 1.5-2.0 turns out from seated and see if that helps (check your manual for the proper setting...you do have a manual right?). You may have to pull em again and clean em up real carefully, although it sounds like you've already been there done that. You may want to think about an inline fuel filter too if your fuel tank has any rust or gunk in it. Good luck.

This is one place to start but it's only 1 possibility. I'm sure you will get other good advice here if you stick around awhile. :)

KZ500 will not idle 31 Jul 2006 17:29 #66182

• Kevin65
  • User
Here are some photos - not the best but my good camera has dead batteries.

Kevin

KZ500 will not idle 16 Aug 2006 18:14 #70090

• Kevin65
  • User
Well I finally bought carb kits and new vacuum plugs. The bike now runs consistently on four cylinders but I cant get it to run below 3500 rpms (4000 with the choke on). The idle screws are set as per the book at 1 3/8 turns. the idle knob does not seem to do anything, even with a ridiculous number of turns.
Any suggestions?

Kevin

KZ500 will not idle 17 Aug 2006 04:32 #70177

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
where do you live maybe someone close that has had the same problem can come by to help figure it out
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

KZ500 will not idle 17 Aug 2006 06:27 #70200

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I was looking forward to seeing a pic of a KZ500 as I didn't think Kaw ever made this displacement.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ500 will not idle 17 Aug 2006 10:59 #70272

• Flynrider
  • User
wiredgeorge wrote:

I was looking forward to seeing a pic of a KZ500 as I didn't think Kaw ever made this displacement.

They did, but I don't think it was sold in the U.S. The predecessor of the KZ550 was the Z500.

www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_z500%2079.htm

KZ500 will not idle 17 Aug 2006 13:57 #70340

• Kevin65
  • User
Ha Ha - it was a typo - too much beer, perhaps?

• Page: