• Page:

TOPIC:

Need to know if these air filters fit OK... 26 Jul 2006 20:41 #65037

• savedrider
  • savedrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I would like to try a set of these out, but I want to make sure they fit good on the #1 and #4 side where they may contact the side covers.

I have Emgo pods now and they taper in like a cone which fits pretty good. Since the UNI's are just a tube with no taper I'm wondering if the side covers will squash them. JC Whitney lists them as a "Custom Fit" part meaning it should require no modifications to fit a stock bike.

www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-V...74+600014691/c-10111

Post edited by: savedrider, at: 2006/07/26 23:42
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need to know if these air filters fit OK... 27 Jul 2006 02:59 #65087

• bigal6030
  • Visitor
Go with K&N filters they are the best?

Big AL

Need to know if these air filters fit OK... 27 Jul 2006 04:26 #65090

• OneShoe50
  • User
  • 10-4? 10-4!
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got those Uni's on my KZ1000 and they are close on 1 & 4 but they do fit. I switched from a K&N style filter to these after I broke one of the filters and found the set of Uni's was 45 bucks and the K&N's were 80 bucks.

Poor boys gots poor ways.:)
77 KZ1000A1 - Under going a psuedo ELR overhaul
79 KE175 (gone)
81 KZ550A2 (gone)
81 KZ750E (gone)

Sure it looks OK now, but wait until I really make it pretty, with some chrome and paint and some new tires and grips and the wiring. Don't forget the gearing, and the LED's and, and, and....

Need to know if these air filters fit OK... 27 Jul 2006 10:52 #65169

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
OneShoe50 wrote:

I've got those Uni's on my KZ1000 and they are close on 1 & 4 but they do fit. I switched from a K&N style filter to these after I broke one of the filters and found the set of Uni's was 45 bucks and the K&N's were 80 bucks.

Thanks. You found a set of K&N's for $80? If so, where? Best price I can find on a set of K&N's is around $125, which is way too much imo.

Need to know if these air filters fit OK... 27 Jul 2006 18:39 #65308

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
OneShoe50 wrote:

Oh forgot to ask...anyway you can post a picture of your filters? I'd like to see how they fit/look?

Thanks

Need to know if these air filters fit OK... 29 Jul 2006 00:35 #65597

• Werewolfx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
IMO, K&N's are a waste of money for a street bike, they don't filter as efficiently as UNI's do, and the "increased" flow over UNI filters is insignificant, since its a minimal difference anyway. And UNI's are washable and reusable. Wash em with soap and water, squeeze em somwhat dry, let them finish drying, pour a narrow line of oil around the filter and squeeze it a few times and reinstall. ;)

I have 3 UNI filters and one Emgo, my 4th UNI caught fire and melted when I had a little air leak on the #4 carb and it caused a backfire, about 10 months ago, and I'm cheap enough that I refuse to buy another UNI til all 4 of my emgo's have gotten too dirty to use on that one carb. :whistle:

I can take a pic of my filters on my 550, but they probably wont help you too much, since it sounds like they're close to the side covers for your bike, and I have like 3 inches of clearance for mine. :blink:
Chris

Need to know if these air filters fit OK... 29 Jul 2006 18:30 #65750

• floridamba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I had a set of these from JCW on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD with 28mm carbs. They worked wonderful, fit perfectly and provided great filtration. I was looking for K&N's but balked at the ridiculous price.

These are high-quality units with chrome end caps with "UNI" engraved in it and come with all mounting clamps. You need foam air filter oil and that's all. These are highly recommended.

Need to know if these air filters fit OK... 21 Aug 2006 20:38 #71474

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Ok, I just received my UNI pods from JCW. They look great, but do have the fitment issue I was worried about. The side covers don't have any clearance on the 1 and 4 pods and so they get smashed in a bit. I don't think it's a huge issue though. Shouldn't make a difference performance wise.

Once I get some spray type filter oil I will get them installed and see how they perform. I'm not expecting much of a performance difference over my current Emgo's, but I'll have a bit more peace of mind in regards to filtration.

• Page: