• Page:

TOPIC:

Kehin 160 mains 05 Mar 2024 07:51 #895987

• nomad007
  • nomad007's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So I have a 1982 kz 550 ltd c
It has pods. It runs pretty darn good as is, but there is a tad annoying very slight pop on decel.
I probably should just drive it, as it is smooth throughout and fast.
it has a Kehin 160 main ( from what i can tell - jet has 1.6 stamped on it) and 32 pilot jet and it says 92 on the big brass tube ( emulsion tube? ) that screws in.
I found an airbox and was considering trying it with that with a new carb kit with stock jetting - do you think it will run even better with the airbox or is it something to try later.
I don't know if the PO drilled out the pilot either which is why I think should start from scratch - although on the other old motorcycles I have worked on I like to keep the factory brass.
Is i60 main too big. The needle looks like a stock setup. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kehin 160 mains 05 Mar 2024 09:18 #895998

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679
According to the parts diagrams on partzilla, the 1982 550C used TK carbs.  The main jet is a 92 and the pilot 32.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: asphalt900

Kehin 160 mains 05 Mar 2024 10:21 #896000

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 371
It would appear that the current jetting works rather well with pods, at least you make it sound so. I know that parts/jets for the TK 21 and 22 carbs are not as plentiful as they are for other carbs that came stock on the (K)Zs. It has been awhile since I looked at (read) all of the info Lou provided us with. But I do think he indicated there were some Keihin or Dynajet jets can be used on them. If it is a Keihin 160 main I am currently unsure how much of an increase it would be over the stock TK main of 92. I know we are not talking about apples or oranges but it to me would appear to be a rather large difference. Anyone else know?

If you are going to go back stock I would suggest you attempt to find stock jets and see if it will solve the issue you are having.

One other thing I should ask is does the bike still have the clean air system or is it removed, as one of the things it is supposed to do is help with decel popping issue. Do not mean to indicate that is all it does, rather one of the things it does.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Kehin 160 mains 05 Mar 2024 12:42 #896006

• nomad007
  • User
Thanks GD4now,

It does have that air system .  I recently plugged the small vacuum nipple on it with a vacuum plug and  I plugged  the part that hooks up to the air box.
I think that helped the decal popping .
I bought the airbox so I always have that as a back up.
Right now it starts right up   with barely any choke, idles great at 1100 and will go over 100. I have not pushed it to far yet as I  technically have about 200 more miles of break in.
Thanks for all the help - I think I am just going to ride it for a while and then eventually I can experiment with different tuning options

Kehin 160 mains 05 Mar 2024 14:20 #896009

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 371
OK, since you have plugged the clean air system off it should no longer be functioning at all.  
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Kehin 160 mains 06 Mar 2024 03:45 #896026

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Just FYI. That picture of the "160/1.6 jet" is NOT your Main jet, it's your float needle seat. The 1.6 is the orifice size of the hole where the tip of the float sits. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, gd4now, nomad007

Kehin 160 mains 06 Mar 2024 06:11 #896030

• nomad007
  • User
Ah I see - the main jet screws into the  big tub -e ok that makes sense- I am just learning this carb Thank you. I wonder if I bumped up that main if it would run even better?
Best
Damon

The following user(s) said Thank You: asphalt900

Kehin 160 mains 07 Mar 2024 03:39 #896085

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Bigger jets? Depends, You said it ran pretty well. Does it pull to redline? Redline crisply and want to keep going higher? Bigger isn't better, i've seen person's under that mentality and just over fuel. Lean is mean..to a point. That popping on de-acceleration is normal

Kehin 160 mains 07 Mar 2024 06:07 #896097

• nomad007
  • User
Thanks asphalt900,
I have only had it up to about 85 and I believe it was around 6200 or 6500 rpms.It was smooth thru also smooth revving in neutral . It had the top end done right before I bought it so I have been keeping it  up around 4500 rpms and varying the rpms  - but I was riding with a group and well I went up to 85 that day. I have been attempting to respect the break in process- although some think its not necessary.. I believe the PO drilled out the jets to achieve this. I reached out to him on market place to verify but who knows if I will hear back.
I got an airbox off eBay and that keyster carb kit- So I have that as a back up. I have plugged the nipple on the air stufff and I plugged the big black tube that is under gas tank. The crankcase breather is not plugged - is it ok like this or should I run a hose out of it down to the bottom of the bike. I have never noticed anything come out of it. I am in FL.
So I think I will just ride it as it is for now and then after 500 miles or so experiment with the airbox and stock 92 = 32 jets and stock needle settings. My luck I will do it now and find I like the pods better. Thanks for the advice! 

• Page: