• Page:

TOPIC:

750 Spectre Gas Cap Springs? 17 Jul 2021 10:59 #851909

• nullptr
  • nullptr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello, all!

After a few years of not being around, since my dad had the Spectre down-state, I've managed to get it back up to my place. It spent the last two years sitting in my parent's garage, hooked to a battery tender and full of stabilized ethanol free fuel. She was surprisingly easy to get running, really just primed the carbs and she fired right off. 

Anyway, a few days ago I had her out for a nice long ride. She ran great, except for a stumble around 6-7k during hard acceleration. Sadly, just as I was coming down the hill into town, she started running rough and eventually died on me. A few minutes of tinkering got her running again, and it seemed to be a fuel starvation issue due to a large amount of vacuum building in the tank.

"Ah hah!", I thought, "The vent is clogged"

And it was. I just finished pulling the cap apart, and there was a glob of... goo? Something gross, at least, inside the cap. All the gaskets looked good, and the vacuum channels are now all cleaned out. The tank looks spotless inside, and the fuel filter is clean still. I'm guessing it was a moisture thing.

Sadly, however, while disassembling things the lock barrel ejected itself and I find myself with two, rather long, left over springs. The mechanism seems to work fine, but... left over springs. I can't find an exploded view of the thing to see where these go. Anyone have any idea? I'm going to go ahead and put it back together and go on my ride (car show in Copper Harbor) after I add a little seafoam to the crankcase for tonight's oil change.

But, yeah, left over springs. Gonna bother the hell out of me. Do they go between the lock barrel and the key face? How do you retain them in there, if that's so?

It's great to have the KZ back. Kind of sad my dad wasn't able to ride it, his knees and hips didn't get along well with the seating position (he couldn't get his feet down off the pegs fast enough at intersections).
1983 KZ750n Spectre
Ride the 906!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

750 Spectre Gas Cap Springs? 17 Jul 2021 13:32 #851919

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The lock cylinder has two 20mm springs that fit into 2 archways.

Place the fuel cap upside down & remove the two screws, then remove the complete assy over the big spring to expose the lock cylinder >> the two springs should fit into the outer arches of the lock cylinder.  I just now took apart a fuel cap & the springs are friction fit. no retainers or anything.  Bushing note:  the lock cylinder has a pin that engages & actuates the latch when the key is turned >> that pin should have a tiny sleeve or bushing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nullptr

Last edit: by martin_csr.

750 Spectre Gas Cap Springs? 17 Jul 2021 16:26 #851935

• nullptr
  • nullptr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Ah. OK, that makes sense then. I'll pull it back apart after I finish the oil change. Thanks!
1983 KZ750n Spectre
Ride the 906!

• Page: