• Page:

TOPIC:

mounting pods 10 Oct 2005 20:42 #565

• GargantuChet
  • GargantuChet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just curious --

How do pods mount? Do they mount straight onto the carbs, or is there something between? Do pods eliminate those rubber boots between the air box and the carbs?

Stock 650 SR with Mikuni carbs if it matters.

I'm sort of considering pods, since Z1 wants $27 for four pods, or $40 for air box hoses (and another $24 if I want to replace the airbox coil springs which have gone missing!). Do pods make sense on a stock 650, or is it the motorcycle equivalent of putting 3" exhaust on a Honda Civic?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mounting pods 10 Oct 2005 21:46 #583

• jenshhj
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Whether pods make sense is a pretty open question, most will probably tell you that you're going to have a lot more trouble getting the carbs tuned if you use pods. Pods are easy to mount, just slip them on the carbs and use the clamps that are on the "air box boots" to tighten them in place.

mounting pods 11 Oct 2005 01:08 #612

• John68
  • User

(and another $24 if I want to replace the airbox coil springs which have gone missing!)

I found those laying on the floor of the garage after you left. A few beers and suddenly parts become unnessessary. :huh: Of course, you are short one, as, if you remember correctly, there was a zip-tie involved in removing the carbs. I do have some extras on the GPz, that I am not currently using.

If it makes you feel any better, at least your bike is operable! ;)

mounting pods 11 Oct 2005 06:04 #630

• GargantuChet
  • User
John68 wrote:

(and another $24 if I want to replace the airbox coil springs which have gone missing!)

I found those laying on the floor of the garage after you left. A few beers and suddenly parts become unnessessary. :huh: Of course, you are short one, as, if you remember correctly, there was a zip-tie involved in removing the carbs. I do have some extras on the GPz, that I am not currently using.

If it makes you feel any better, at least your bike is operable! ;)

Well, then, $6 for a single new spring. ;) The boots that are on there are so brittle that I doubt those springs will do much to keep a seal. The upside of putting parts back on is that it's the easiest way to keep from losing them.

Cannabalizing parts from the GPz isn't very nice, and with time it'll run again too. :)

Speaking of, does anyone know of a good source for cheaper airbox boot springs? The PO used a ziptie on one of mine, and it just doesn't "feel" right. I suppose I'm being anal, but I don't like cobbling things together like that.

mounting pods 13 Oct 2005 09:39 #1345

• fergyfer
  • User
My air ducts are so hardened and non-pliable that those weak springs probably aren't doing any good at all. I've considered swapping out my airducts with some heavy but pliable rubber hose but it's just a thought so far.
The thought has also occured to me to buy original replacements for them, and I'm thinking that might be a better idea. Considering that the rubber manifolds and the air ducts are what holds the carbs on, I would expect that they have to be somewhat stout...

mounting pods 13 Oct 2005 18:16 #1497

• GargantuChet
  • User
I don't think that the rubber boots are supposed to provide much mounting support for the carbs. Those with more riding (and wrench-turning) experience than I have said that the rubber should be soft and pliable.

I'm going to order either the pods or the boots from Z1 eventually, I just have to make up my mind first!:P

mounting pods 13 Oct 2005 18:53 #1511

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
Don't forget bike salvage/wreckers Chet. You might find the round retaining springs and get them for next to nothing.

mounting pods 13 Oct 2005 19:23 #1524

• GargantuChet
  • User
That's a good point. If it comes down to it, I might just go with zipties like the PO did. If I did get the new boots, I'd just want to be really careful about not nicking them while clipping the zipties any time I wanted to pull the carbs.

I'm definitely not paying $6 a spring. I think I'd rather put that money towards a new rectifier/regulator, and zipties are cheap.

I just need to make up my mind regarding pods. Grgh.

• Page: