Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

are 29mm smoothbore carbs trading for enough to cover cost of conversion to fuel injection yet? 23 Jun 2006 03:47 #56463

• Duck
  • Duck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Have a set of 29mm smoothbores on the kz. Wondering if they have become desireable enough to cover the cost of conversion to a programmable management system and fuel injection components.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

are 29mm smoothbore carbs trading for enough to cover cost of conversion to fuel injection yet? 23 Jun 2006 06:31 #56496

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If you sold them on eBay, YOU would get about $350. If you bought FI junk, which would include throttle bodies, the management system and a cylinder head, how much would YOU expect to pay? Perhaps you could luck out and work a swap with an FI owner but if you design/build your own system, it will end up costing more I expect than your your 29s will bring.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

are 29mm smoothbore carbs trading for enough to cover cost of conversion to fuel injection yet? 23 Jun 2006 08:02 #56529

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
the cold, hard truth is that they probably won't.

350 would be a start, and not that good of a start.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

are 29mm smoothbore carbs trading for enough to cover cost of conversion to fuel injection yet? 23 Jun 2006 09:08 #56547

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Thanks.

I guess the EFI will have to wait for further appreciation of these MICs. Will keep looking for an abandoned megasquirt project.

are 29mm smoothbore carbs trading for enough to cover cost of conversion to fuel injection yet? 23 Jun 2006 09:34 #56556

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
MegaSquirt EFI controller $140
GSXR Throttle bodies $50
Fuel pump free (off a 87 F150, already had it)
Engine temp sensor, free from junkyard.

Air filters will need to be adapted, but I'm not at that point yet, although I may be able to use the stock air box.

Obviously, if you are a cheapskate like me, EFI can be cheaper than a set of 29mm smoothbores :D

I don't know why you would need to replace the cylinder head.

Gonna have to drag WG kicking and screaming into the 21st century I guess
:evil: :laugh:
KD9JUR

are 29mm smoothbore carbs trading for enough to cover cost of conversion to fuel injection yet? 23 Jun 2006 13:29 #56602

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
steell wrote:

MegaSquirt EFI controller $140
GSXR Throttle bodies $50
Fuel pump free (off a 87 F150, already had it)
Engine temp sensor, free from junkyard.

Air filters will need to be adapted, but I'm not at that point yet, although I may be able to use the stock air box.

Obviously, if you are a cheapskate like me, EFI can be cheaper than a set of 29mm smoothbores :D

I don't know why you would need to replace the cylinder head.

Gonna have to drag WG kicking and screaming into the 21st century I guess
:evil: :laugh:

Yep, I'm cheap. Tight as a tick. Will keep looking. Do GSXR throttle bodies need any mods as far as spacing? Every time I put gas in I think..."man, if I had full electronic engine management, I'd be getting at least 45MPG".

are 29mm smoothbore carbs trading for enough to cover cost of conversion to fuel injection yet? 23 Jun 2006 16:06 #56642

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Yep, you have to change the spacing and either modify the fuel rail or get/make another one.

GPz1100 throttle bodies will bolt right on, but people have been bidding them up to stratospheric levels on eBay lately :(

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/23 19:07
KD9JUR

• Page: