Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Making an air cleaner cap 12 Jun 2006 22:38 #54135

• sjmounger
  • sjmounger's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello after searching for this and not finding an answer I deciede to ask for myself. I recently got a 1982 KZ440 LTD D That was not working. After some beat and banging on it we have it running. Now I knew it didnt hve an air filter but what I soon discovered it was missing the air filter ( air cleaner element ), element case, and air cleaner cap. The bad news is I can not buy the air cleaner cap. I bought the 2 out of 3 pieces I could and decided to build the cap part. If some one would be so kind as to post the dimensions of the cap and maybe some details about it. I know it will have to slide over the air filter and the screen and attach to the air box. It looks to have 2 holes in it. Are these just holes or tubes leading to the air filter? We got the bike running decent thanks to alot of carb cleaning and making new exhausts even though now we bought some stock ones. The bikes isnt backfiring hardly at all and I am hoping the air filter will fix it so I can go get my license. Right now I have 2 paper towels or coffee filters, and some duct tape as a filter but I still get fouled plugs and it wont pull up a hill after about 20-30 miles of riding. I know its a horrible idea but I wanted to give it a try. Before the paper towels it was only firing out of one side, or back firing alot. Thanks everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Making an air cleaner cap 13 Jun 2006 04:14 #54145

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello and welcome to KZR. First time poster get told this: Put your bike(s) and location in tyour signature line, post some photos as soon as you can. Also, play around with the archives and/or search feature here, there is a ton of info there.
I had the exact same question as you, early this spring. I'm no computer guru and don't know how to put in links to old threads, so do this- In the "Search form" box, type in 440 air filter, and hit enter; it will bring you to that discussion.
I never did get the plastic piece that goes on over the triangular air filter. I woung up screwing the filter to the airbox with two good sized panhead screws, then later I made up an aluminum cover for the filter, mostly to keep rain and crap away from it. It seems to work fine for now.

Good luck with your little bike and have fun riding it.

Making an air cleaner cap 13 Jun 2006 07:33 #54174

• sjmounger
  • sjmounger's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I guess I just didnt dig deep enough through the search results. Yea thats exactly what we had in mind. Glad I am not the only one that thought about doing this. Can anyone tell me if the holes in the end of the cap piece that slides over the filter are just holes or do I need to make them tubes? I'll get some pics up when we complete the work. Also think that I have a good chance of fixing the fouling plugs problem with making and using a air cleaner cap?

• Page: