Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hoses to carb 1 and 4 24 Apr 2006 21:47 #42402

• dannyh
  • dannyh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I notice there is a hose that runs to the "spacer" between the carbs and the engine on carbs 1 and 4. What does it do?
I also notice that carbs 2 and 3 have fittings for the same thing but are capped off. Why?
What would happen if I ran the hoses to carbs 2 and 3, and then capped off 1 and 4? I am curious and a little confused. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hoses to carb 1 and 4 25 Apr 2006 05:39 #42451

• arai59
  • Visitor
On 79/later bikes these 2 hoses joined at a T and went foward to a vacuum control valve. It was part of the early emisions. There should also be a vacuum port on some models for the petcock as well.

Hoses to carb 1 and 4 25 Apr 2006 06:28 #42462

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Danny, EDIT YOUR PROFILE (signature) to reflect the bike year/model. Lots of folks also put their location in their signature as well.

Your question can not be accurately answered unless the type of carburetors is known. This might be more easily guess at if your bike year/model was known.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Hoses to carb 1 and 4 25 Apr 2006 06:36 #42463

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Greg, the short piece of hose joining 1&2 and 2&3 on 73-80 VM series carbs is the way Mikuni vented the carb bowls. The #1 carb has a hole in the top of the bowl chamber but no external vent except for the small cast fitting under this hose. This fitting is essentially just a passage leading to the hole in the bowl chamber top. The hose connects to the #2 carb which also has a hole in the top of the bowl chamber but the #2 has a brass spigot on the side for venting and the hose joins the #1 vent with the #2 vent in going to the spigot. The #3 and #4 carbs vent the same way.

The vent is needed so that vacuum does NOT build up in the bowl chambers otherwise the floats don't work right. If vents are plugged, gas will either POUR out or WON'T flow at all or will flow sporadically.

The smog stuff started in 1979 on the KZ1000 models (might have been on 650s as well but I am not sure). The smog heads had two reed valves that were opened and unburned gunk was blown back into the engine when the reed valves were opened. The opening was controlled by a cannister that was VACUUM controlled that sat above the reed valves and on the front of the engine. The gunk came from the crankcase breather up to the front of the engine where it split into two tubes going into the valve cover reed valve covers.

The gizmo that opened the reed valves was controlled by engine vacuum that came from the carbs from VACUUM spigots you refer to. On the 79/80 KZ1000 carbs, I THINK there was only one spigot and it must have been on carb #3. It looks just like the vents but it was essentially just a hole down into the carb venturi. If the smog stuff is not in place, this vacuum spigot must be capped otherwise it is just an air leak; making steady idling impossible.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

, 25 Apr 2006 07:09 #42470

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.
  • Page: