Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly**update! completed** 24 Apr 2006 06:00 #42092

• heartless
  • heartless's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok, since my bike - 84 KZ550-F2 - has some issues like hard to start, irratic idle, takes forever to warm up and just plain not running right, I have decided to go in and clean the carbs again, hopefully for the last time (read thoroughly and completely). bike has TK carbs.
I do know it was having a problem getting gas (petcock replacement is in the way) but it was also left sitting with gas in the carbs before i got it.

started to take the carbs apart this past weekend - one small issue tho - cant seem to get the pilot(?) jet to unscrew....the one way up inside a tube....either i am just not strong enough or this sucker is really stuck.

would also like to know how hard it would be to get everything running smoothly again if i "crack the rack" for a good soaking....i know i need to get all the rubber bits out before soaking.

WiredGeorge - need your input!!!

Post edited by: heartless, at: 2006/04/24 09:01

Post edited by: heartless, at: 2006/05/21 16:30

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 24 Apr 2006 06:33 #42103

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
You need to open the pilots up a bit. Thay are set EPA lean, thus the cold nature.

Did you balance the carbs after the last time you had them off?

U2U me before you get going on this...
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 24 Apr 2006 06:40 #42109

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Are these the round slide or CV Tekei carbs? I don't look in as much as I should so if you need specific help/tips, you can always try my carb tech forum on my web site if you need timely help. The pilot jets MUST be removed and I would replace them. Also, as you noted, the carb rack MUST be split to soak and should be blown out with compressed air after soaking. Your basic question is how hard it would be to get things running smoothly after disassembly? I guess you would be better placed to answer this question than me since you know your own mechanical skills. If you need professional help, contact me through my web site but if you just need advice, use the forum on my site or wait for me to answer here.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 26 Apr 2006 08:30 #42802

• KZ_Rage
  • User
Hey heartless!

Let's be sure we are both on the same page so to speak.

You are you talking jets (92064) and not mains (92063)right?

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2006/04/26 11:39
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
Attachments:

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 26 Apr 2006 08:49 #42811

• KZ_Rage
  • User
Strange little program here for editing posts... one or two goofs on posting a photo and you can't modify with a photo anymore, options gone... glitch or gitch?
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
Attachments:

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 26 Apr 2006 19:29 #43007

• heartless
  • User
yup, those would be the ones...slightly off center. (Kinda hard to tell from the diagram, wrong angle!)

the center would be the mains, correct? those came out fine. last time i had these things apart i didnt touch the pilots...my bad i guess.

anyway...looking at the bottom (bowl) side of the carb, they are just forward and to the right a little, buried way up the tube. (see pic, arrow points to the tube i am looking in...)have been squirting a little P.B. Blaster in there to hopefully help loosen things up by the time i get to work on them again...
Attachments:

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 26 Apr 2006 19:47 #43013

• KZ_Rage
  • User
Have you tried the old trick of tightening the jet a bit first before trying to back it out?

I doubt you can get a hammer screw driver in there but that might do the trick, just don't whack the heck out of it.

Hopefully you wont have to drill them out as that would be a PITA!

What does the cross cut look like now after you have tried to loosen it?
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 27 Apr 2006 04:38 #43090

• heartless
  • User
have only tried on one so far, and it is still ok at this point...but you know how that goes - subject to change. will have to try the tighteneing a little trick...dont know why i didnt think of that myself.:unsure: no, would never get an imact set in there - way to small...
WiredGeorge has suggested using the p.b. blaster to soak them, and a little bit of heat - after removing any and all rubber pieces of course. heating will be my last resort tho.
wont really be able to work on them much until this weekend. wouldnt be cool going to work smelling like gas and/or carb cleaner! :laugh:
going to get the full carb kit from Z1. and going to pick up the gallon can size berrymans on friday... hopefully will be able to get everything apart and soaking by saturday evening....looks like another week before i will be getting her fired up. :S

also need to clean the tank out good....did away with the vacuum petcock - got an adapter plate and standard style petcock but had to file out the hole for the screen a little...which means shavings in there...need to pick up some new fuel line and an inline filter as well...luckily it hasnt been real super nice out (very chilly in the mornings) so i havent been to depressed about not being able to get her out! but the afternoons....wellll....getting itchy!! wanna ride!

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 27 Apr 2006 05:32 #43095

• KZ_Rage
  • User
If you heat do it in a pan of hot water don't put heat on it direct. I sent you a PM on using the hot/cold trick too.

I don't know if the berrymans will get inbetween the threads on the jet but if they are still stuck you can try them afterwards.

My vacuum petcock is still working OK and for about $30 bucks I'd probably rebuild it though I might look at a Pingle.

Know the feeling, I'm tearing down the forks right now but I did get new tires, new rear shocks, new mirrors and changed the hypoid in the rear unit. Already changed the oil and filter, berryman'd the gas that was left in it over the winter with stabil. Got to lube the cables yet but I think the carbs might wait until this winter or later in the summer.

I want to be able to ride and work on the 1000 and the wifes Rebel (it's all over my shop floor right now)
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 27 Apr 2006 06:03 #43102

• heartless
  • User
all over the shop floor huh? I know that feeling!!! :D
parts and pieces of my bike are on the floor, parts and pieces of the skid steer we are rebuilding are on the shop floor, extra parts and pieces for the Honda we recently got are on the floor....tools, and other misc stuff is on the shop floor! think maybe it is cause the benches are full and there is no where else to put the stuff???? ROFL.

anyway - I am hoping that the P.B. Blaster will do its stuff - giving a fresh shot every morning before heading off to work. really kind of nervous about "cracking the rack" but seems it is the only way I am really going to get these things cleaned out properly. going to pick up the gallon can of Berrymans friday on the way home from work - that stuff aint cheep! just a little shy of $30 for the gallon can, but if it does the job, it will be worth it.
well, need to get ready for work and head out - ride safe!

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 27 Apr 2006 06:07 #43104

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
On my 650B project, the vacuum tap will either need to be rebuilt for $22 or replaced with a Pingle kit from Z1 for $27. I think I know which way I'll go since the SR's vacuum tap is seeping more and more after being rebuilt just two years ago. :(

I can tell the diaphragm in the vacuum tap is shot as the #2 carb had a lot of crud caked in the throat which is where the vacuum for the fuel tap is sourced. They were probably a cool idea at the time, but now with age they just can't function like new.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

cleaning carbs - issues with disassembly 27 Apr 2006 18:17 #43263

• heartless
  • User
NONB - my vacuum petcock was leaking pretty good, and wasnt getting the gas to the carbs very well. i got the adapter plate to fit my tank, and went with the good ol fashioned on/off/reserve tap, all from Z1...just a simple matter of plugging the vacuum port on the carb now...after i get them cleaned up!
did have to file out the hole for the in-tank screen a bit, but no big deal - tank needs a cleaning out anyway...
good luck with yours. (dremel is great for reworking the hole btw)

• Page: