Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'82 KZ750 CSR twin Carb rebuild 21 Apr 2006 10:53 #41436

• ronjones
  • ronjones's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Guys and gals, I'm new to the group thanks for letting me join. I'm rebuilding an '82 KZ750 CSR M1 twin so I have several questions going in a couple of the forums. This one concerns my carbs. When I took my carbs apart I ran into a couple of difficulties. One of the Jet pilots (Pt#92064-1039)will not come out and I'm sure I've buggered the screwdriver slot. I'm thinking of using an easy out screw extractor to remove it and either, hopefully being able to clean it up and reinstall or buy a new one, unfortunately it seems to be a rather hard item to find. Comments?
Second problem when I removed the diaphrams (Pt# 43028-1032), I found the pistons to be totally fouled w/a thick, black gunk, that would not come off w/just spray carb cleaner and brushes. So I soaked them in carb cleaner. I was able to clean the pistons but the cleaner did a bad number on the diaphrams. (Dr. the operation was a success but the patient died :sick: ) I have been able to get the diaphrams back to their original shape w/WD-40 but I have now notice several areas where the rubber membrane has "disolved", leaving several pinholes. The inner fortifying matrix of the membrane seems to be intact it's just the rubber which has come off. Is there some type of liquid neoprene or something similar that I could use to fix them? I'd really hate to have to by new ones as they are quite expensive aprox $150 each.
Third and last question. In order to remove the pilot air screws (pt# 16014-1014)I first tightened them until they just seated and count the # of turns. On one carb it only took 2 and a half turns but on the other carb it took 17 turns to bottom out. (actually I counted half turns)Is this normal? I remember a rule of thumb for working on old auto carbs was to seat the jet/screw and then back it out 2 to 2.5 turns and this would get you in the correct ballpark. Have I really messed things up:ohmy: :( or can these carbs be salvaged:) Thanks in advance for any assistance. It seems like a very good group.
Ron
PS the part#'s I used came from the parts diagrams at cycle-parts.com and I believe them to be the Kawasaki part #'s
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'82 KZ750 CSR twin Carb rebuild 21 Apr 2006 11:30 #41445

• ronjones
  • User
I seem to have double posted this message, Sorry, I don't know how it happened
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

'82 KZ750 CSR twin Carb rebuild 21 Apr 2006 13:57 #41475

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
ronjones wrote:

I seem to have double posted this message, Sorry, I don't know how it happened

Don't worry about double posts, sometimes it just happens :)
I delete them whenever I see them.

I'm not a carb guy (hate the stupid things actually) so you will have to wait for someone else to come along.
Sorry :(
KD9JUR

'82 KZ750 CSR twin Carb rebuild 21 Apr 2006 19:52 #41563

• ronjones
  • User
Thanks again for the reply, steell. Yep I hate the da@#things also but you need them to make the bike run :) I'm willing to listen to any options :)

'82 KZ750 CSR twin Carb rebuild 23 Apr 2006 20:01 #41983

• ronjones
  • User
Well, I've at least solved one of my problems. I got the stuck pilot jet out. I got a set of small screw extractors, from Sears. The smallest was a perfect fit, and worked just like the directions said it would. I don't know about y'all but having something work, like the directions, is somewhat amazing.
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR twin Carb rebuild 24 Apr 2006 06:48 #42111

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Without seeing the diaphragms, it does sound like you ruined them in the cleaning process.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

'82 KZ750 CSR twin Carb rebuild 24 Apr 2006 19:54 #42371

• ronjones
  • User
Yeah, George it is beginning to look that way. I found something called "liquid electrical tape" that I'm going to try. And try to save for the new diaphrams. Thanks for the reply.

'82 KZ750 CSR twin Carb rebuild 04 May 2006 19:36 #45179

• ronjones
  • User
Ok, carb problems solved. I got a pair of used carbs from Cycle Therapy. Got all the extra parts I need as well as the diaphram. Now I have another question, but I'll post another topic

• Page: