Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

leaky petcock in kz 440 13 Apr 2006 17:30 #39297

• Vannod
  • Vannod's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, great site. Loads of info. So far I've learned I have a vac. petcock and what the 3 poss. mean. But, I have a question I have not seen yet. While running, the petcock leaks. Gas is spurted out of a tiny hole on the right in a plastic gasket/spacer behind the valve arm where the lines hook up. This is my first bike,a 1981 kz440 ltd. I'm having fun with it and, learning about bikes. I'm also going to rebuild the carbs. Hopefully this will fix the annoying cant get any faster than 55 mph. No joke, 60 mph with a good tail wind..lol. I'm thinking the needle valves are sticking, or the float is not adjusted properly(hoping bike carbs are like car carbs). I have already replaced the mufflers and have noticed a little improvment. any help with the petcock or advice for the 55mph problem will be greatly appericiated.

p.s. I have already tried carb cleaner, octane booster, and a few other additives.

Post edited by: Vannod, at: 2006/04/13 20:34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

leaky petcock in kz 440 14 Apr 2006 06:29 #39441

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Welcome to the site! Your petcock probably needs a rebuild kit. Check Z1 Enterprises. If the bike has been sitting for any length of time the carbs may need a complete teardown and cleaning. I hope you have a manual by now? Before you dive into the carbs give the engine a complete tuneup, and adjust the valves, see what that does first.

Have fun:)

PS Check it out. www.kz400.com/index.html
and this www.kz400.com/KZ440MaintainanceFrameset.html

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/04/14 09:40

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/04/14 09:43
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: