Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FUEL LINES 09 Apr 2006 20:47 #38209

• MBFMGP
  • MBFMGP's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
MY QUESTION IS SIMILAR TO OTHER POST I JUST READ.

HERE'S MY PROBLEM; WHEN I RUN WITH THE PETCOCK IN THE PRIME POSITION ALL IS WELL BUT IT LEAKS FUEL FROM A HOSE COMNNECTED TO THE OTHER PETCOCK OUTLET EVEN THOUGH IT IS PLUGGED. IF I USE RUN OR RESERVE IT SEEMS AS IF IT'S RUNNING OUT OF FUEL EVEN THOUGH THE TANK IS FULL.

THE CARBS HAVE BEEN REJETTED, I'M TOLD, WITH 2.5 JETS.
ALSO HAS A V&H PIPE WITH THE BAFFLE IN. I'M TOLD IT'S JETTED TO RUN W/O THE BAFFLE BUT HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO REMOVE IT.

ALSO THE IDLE SEEMS TO GO WAY UP SPORADICALLY AND EVEN THOUGH I PUT A NEW IDLE SCREW PRING IN IT HASN'T REMEDIED THE CONDITION.

ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE APPRECIATED.

THE BIKE IS A '79 KZ1000 ST BUT HAS BEEN MESSSED WITH BYBTHE PREVIOUS OWNER(S).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FUEL LINES 09 Apr 2006 21:28 #38218

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
you need a rebuild kit for the petcock it sounds like you have a leak in the diaphragm im not sure on a kawi but it was $32 at the dealer for my yamaha
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

FUEL LINES 10 Apr 2006 13:55 #38344

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I agree with btchalice sounds like the vacuum diaphragm in your petcock is shot. The purpose is to only allow fuel to run if engine is turning over.

By the way "PLEASE DON"T YELL" Thanks

FUEL LINES 10 Apr 2006 17:35 #38413

• MBFMGP
  • MBFMGP's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for all the help.

Now if I can get the baffle out I think things will start to get sorted out with this thing.

fred

FUEL LINES 11 Apr 2006 06:47 #38587

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Geesh, Fred, glad you gave your name as you screen nic sounds like a Lucky Strike commercial... remember LSMFT? (Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco?)... err maybe not. You have to be at least 97 years old to remember some of this stuff! bwhahahaha

Hey! I am putting together a project ST. Keep us up on the progress on your bike... I am happy to learn from others and my project is slooooooow going!

Suggestion 1. GET RID OF THE VACCUM PETCOCK... it is only a point of failure. Buy a Pingel adapter plate and gravity petcock from www.z1enterprises.com.

Suggestion 2. DO NOT LISTEN TO PREVIOUS OWNER REGARDING CARBS. Open them up and check your jetting. Then come back and report and you will get some great jetting advice. If I don't respond, I have a carb tech forum on my web site. Drop in and ask away! Leave the baffle in that pipe and keep your neighbors happy. It is ALWAYS far easier to jet a bike with a baffle than NO BAFFLE... this situation creates flat spots that jetting can sometimes be hard pressed to fix.

Suggestion 3. IDLE GOES NUTS? I don't understand WHAT part you replaced but most likely isn't the one that should have been replaced. If your bike continues to have idle problem, next time it happens JIGGLE THE CHOKE ARM a bit. If the idle settles down as a result, go look at the area on my web site marked "CHOKE PLUNGERS". Honestly, it sounds like your carburetors are in need of servicing but it sounds like your choke plunger pads are shot.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: