Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Will carbs from GS1000 fit KZ1000? 08 Apr 2006 16:40 #37901

• kawtoy
  • kawtoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I need some bigger carbs for my 80 KZ1000. I can get a set from a 79 GS1000 for $20. Will they fit and what size should they be? I am going to check them out on Mon. Thanks
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Will carbs from GS1000 fit KZ1000? 08 Apr 2006 17:03 #37907

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You have VM28s on your A4 and the GS1000 carbs are VM26 I believe. They will fit fine except they have a cable choke so you will need to rig a choke cable OR use your Kaw choke lever and swap out the #2 choke plunger arm on the Suz carbs. You will also have to drill/tap a hole for the screw that tightens the choke lever.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Will carbs from GS1000 fit KZ1000? 08 Apr 2006 18:18 #37920

• kawtoy
  • kawtoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Well if they are 26's then I won't bother. I was hoping they would be 34's or something. Thanks
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Will carbs from GS1000 fit KZ1000? 09 Apr 2006 02:53 #37990

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Wired George converted a ste of carbs from a cable to a lever. Looks good works great. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Will carbs from GS1000 fit KZ1000? 09 Apr 2006 06:23 #37997

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
see what they! who knows what may have made it's way on to a 79 gs1k. maybe 29mm smoothbores ;-) AFAIK the 34's went on some models in 80. what else it available from this bike?

Will carbs from GS1000 fit KZ1000? 10 Apr 2006 11:32 #38310

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
At some point, Suzuki switched to BS34s from the VM26s. Unfortunately, most Suzuki documentation I have goes by frame number and not model year. The BS34s from a Suzuki model are a bit of an issue to convert to a Kaw use as they have a choke CABLE system. While not impossible to convert to a pull choke, it is very very difficult. The second issue I think is the vacuum ports for synchronization. The Suzuki BS34 ain't got them as I recall... Suzuki put ports into the intake manifolds. You can't bolt Suzuki intake manifolds to a Kaw head directly I think... I have some and they are a different set up. You would have to modify Kaw style intake manifolds to install pipes for vacuum hoses for a manometer. Not worth the effort as it is easier just to use KZ type BS34s if that is the way you want to go.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Will carbs from GS1000 fit KZ1000? 10 Apr 2006 14:04 #38347

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
wiredgeorge wrote:

You would have to modify Kaw style intake manifolds to install pipes for vacuum hoses for a manometer.

WG-

I used to sync multiple SU side draft carbs by ear. A hose held
next to the venturi mouth on the inlet side would have a frying bacon sound. Sync was setting them until they sounded the same at a given RPM. It was much easier than using a manometer. I still have not tried this with any MC carbs. Unlike the SU's, the MC carb linkage goes on before the carbs go on the MC so it's pretty easy to set the linkage up. In fact, I have yet to sync a set beyond matching the butterfly's with a small guage bar. I have been told that this lack of diligence will lead to "fighting pistons". Mine may occasionaly 'approach compromise slowly' but have yet to exhibit even a full blown argument, let alone "fight".

-Duck

• Page: