Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

flooding 07 Apr 2006 08:46 #37559

• r1ng3l78
  • r1ng3l78's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
so i picked up my 79 650 yesterday and had rode it a couple times before around the parking lot and she was fine (a little cold natured). well i get her home and after 10 minutes of warming up, it died after a hundred yards up the road. pulled the plugs and they were nice and black with carbon and all but the one on the right cylinder were wet with gas. cleaned em, aired the cylinders out, and she ran like a champ. rode a couple miles. decided to ride it home (about 3 miles) and she flooded about 2 miles down the rode and i spent an hour on the side of the rode and couldn't get it to run (did try to hit a couple times). also when it started missing, i blew a little flame out the exhaust, wouldn't call it a backfire since there was no bang. does this sound like a carb rebuild or something else too?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

flooding 07 Apr 2006 16:50 #37661

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
since you just got it, do you know how long it has been sitting? If it has been a while it probably needs carb attention, at least pulling the bowls and seeing how much sludge is at the bottom of them and check that the floats are loose on the pins. While you have the bowls off spray some carb cleaner into the fuel pipe, with the petcock closed and the line off of course, to see if any dirt comes out. This can be all done with them on the bike. Check the simple stuff first before you go into a complete rebuild.
On second thought, you didn't forget to let the choke off after it warmed up did you??
Ride safe,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

flooding 07 Apr 2006 20:48 #37736

• r1ng3l78
  • r1ng3l78's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
it wasn't the choke. i've been feeling pretty foul today till i got to examine the problem closer. i know it was ridin about 1k miles last season and about an hour this season. i'm sure i'm lookin at a good carb clean but i think part of the problem may be ignition. the hot wire to the ignition is hacked and spliced bout 3 times in 2" and when the switch is on, it gets too hot to touch. and the plug wires are way gone. so i'm gonna dress up the wiring, and clean the carbs. hopefully that'll take care of me. oh yeah, it was low on gas and i filled it with premium and put new plugs in and she ran for about 15 seconds but was missing randomly and died again.

• Page: