Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! 03 Apr 2006 16:33 #36497

• KZer
  • KZer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I received the new 17.5 pilots and 110 main jets today and stuck them in the carbs, along with new needles and now the pig is popping and snapping at an idle and when I accelerate, it snaps and pops out the carbs!!:evil: :evil: Am I doing something wrong?! When I accelerate smoothly, it picks up ok, but it "pops" through the carbs...I adjusted the air screws to 1 1/2 turns from snug...is the mixture maybe too rich? HELP!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! 03 Apr 2006 17:07 #36506

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Check your carb manifolds-boots. They get old, dry out and crack. This is probably your easiest troubleshooting step.

Get the motor running and spray some carb cleaner around the rubber boots. If the motor picks up the revs you probably have a cracked or leaking boot. Just to be sure remove the boots and put on a thin bead of 3 Bond gasket material on the surface where the boot mates with the intake ports to give a good seal.

If this doesn't solve your problem it might be ignition/coils. There is a lot of threads in the archive about popping carbs.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
1977 Kz 650 being rebuilt (again) with 810 kit, WG Mikuni 28 carbs, Dyna Coils and Ignition. Mac pipe, Ported 650 head, 750 cams, 750 Intake valves and springs.
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! 03 Apr 2006 17:18 #36508

• KZer
  • User
Okey Dokey...Will give it a go...thanks

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! 04 Apr 2006 20:03 #36770

• KZer
  • User
I put the Stock main jet back in and left the 17.5 pilot in and the popping and spitting stoppped, but it is still running lean, (white plugs)...should I maybe mess with adjusting the air screws? I checked the rubber boots that connect the carbs to the head and there are no visible cracks...What should I do next to try and adjust the carbs so they run a little more rich, but not too rich so that it loads the motor up?

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! 05 Apr 2006 20:52 #37113

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
You could try raising the jet needles one notch, keeping in mind the jet needles control the 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle fuel mixture.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! 06 Apr 2006 09:00 #37216

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I would quit messing around with jetting till I found the air leak (symptoms popping and lean burn on plugs). REPLACE your intake manifolds/use stock type (thin) clamps, REPLACE the vacuum caps on your intake manifolds and replace the orings on your mixture screws. THEN see if the popping goes away... if still popping, it is likely the idle mixture is misadjusted. This is all assuming that your bike is otherwise correctly tuned... Oh yeah... I would also pull the head pipes off your exhaust and replace the crush gaskets.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/04/06 12:01
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: