Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Too rich? More info added 3-22 19 Mar 2006 21:54 #32718

• donthekawguy
  • donthekawguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
OK back to the carbs again. I had them rebuilt by WG, put on the Dyna coils and ignition, put on the Reg/Rec upgrade and coil wire mod. I went for a ride yesterday for about an hour. It started running rough by the time I got home. I have yet to check the plugs but I'm sure they are carbon fouling. Should I step down a size or two? I have pods and a Mac header with a zx6 muffler. I think the muffler is the problem. I might have went to big on the jets for the stock muffler. I can't remember what size mains I have in but will find out this week when I get into them.

Post edited by: donthekawguy, at: 2006/03/23 23:00
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Too rich? 20 Mar 2006 15:14 #32882

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
The only way to check plugs is by putting in new plugs, then hitting kill switch after at least a 1/4 mile of wide open throttle. Then close throttle, clutch in and coast to stop on side of road (or better yet at end of drag strip). Then check your plugs for colour. White is too lean, black is too rich, tan is just right. This will give you rough guess if main jets are right size.

Too rich? 22 Mar 2006 13:05 #33412

• PuGz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Take a look at this article written by mpowell.

Carb Re-jetting

There is little magic to it, just trial and error. Your local bike shop should have no problem getting you jets for your carbs or they are available from Z1enterprises.

Too rich? 23 Mar 2006 19:58 #33884

• donthekawguy
  • donthekawguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
OK I have 26 Mikunis, dyna igniton and coils, reg/rec combo unit, coil wire upgrade, pods and a mac header with a zx6 muffler. The mains are 116 and the pilots 17.5. Even with the upgrades my plugs are really black and they start to fould after about an hour of mild riding. I think I got messed up putting on the stock zx6 muffler. I think I over estimated the breathing capabilities of the muffler. With this set up, can anyone guesstimate what jets I should be running? I'm going to be changing them in the morning but hate to have to pull the carbs three or four times. I'm thinking 114 mains and leave the pilots. How about that? Maybe a little smaller on the mains? Or maybe smaller mains and pilots?
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Too rich? 25 Mar 2006 04:37 #34146

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I would replace the stock jetting and start all over.

You can aske WG for his advice on his new message board. Heres a link.

LINK

Fish

• Page: