Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

lost a part, anyone know where to find a new one? 23 Feb 2006 23:09 #26060

• solomrus
  • solomrus's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
ok, so i was working on my float bowls tonight, cleaning every little bit of crud out, and trying to get my accel pumps working properly. i know what the problem is now, the pickup from carb 2 to the pump diaphragm is clogged. that i can deal with.

while dinking around with it, i managed to hook the spring clip retainer that holds the check ball and plunger in place for that bowl. i felt it ricochet off of my forehead, and heard it land on something hard.

it's gone. i just spent 90 minutes or so with a magnet, sifting thru all the iron filings on, in, around, or under my work bench. toast. even made a tester to drop, and follow the trajectory, and see if it will be visible to the eye. no dice.

could someone direct butterfingers here to a place to replace this bloody thing?

thanks everyone, and sorry for the novel.

wiredgeorge, if you are listening, please hear my call!

--r

Post edited by: solomrus, at: 2006/02/24 02:48
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

lost a part, anyone know where to find a new one? 24 Feb 2006 03:47 #26070

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
If you get an accel pump kit, it only comes with 1 clip.
The clips can be made with a spring from a ball point pen and a very small pair of needle nose pliers.
Fish

lost a part, anyone know where to find a new one? 24 Feb 2006 06:42 #26089

• solomrus
  • User
i was using a piece of wire i pulled from a stainless brush to clean the tiny holes... that is about the right diameter as well.

probably just end up making a clip from that. or the pen spring.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

lost a part, anyone know where to find a new one? 24 Feb 2006 07:51 #26097

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I don't sell carb parts. If I did, I would probably have some of the clips and the check valve parts made up as there are plenty of calls for these. FWIW: I do provide parts on a lifetime basis for customers of mine... In the future, I may sell parts I guess as I expand my business.

As noted, the check valve stuff only comes in the accelerator rebuild kit and this is an expensive way to replace that little clip and the check valve. I also suspect you could use small inside circlips... I mean to check on that at some point but the hole is VERY small for a circlip...

Last note... on the pump, the clog that you mention is seldom between the pump and gas supply. That is an air passageway I think. The general problem; at least for a 650 will be the pinhole passageway at the bottom of the bowl or the check valve in the bowl. If you remove the brass plug, there is a check valve which is made of steel and RUSTS. When it rusts, the ball in the valve doesn't move. It can be cleaned and a new plug fabricated but I seldom find it worth the effort as this is a lot of work. I generally just replace the whole thing on my customer's #2 carb with a working one. I have a pile that I will eventually get to and fix to make them work again.

On the KZ1000 pumper, there is no little hole to plug but the check valve on those things freezes up just as often.

YOU MUST have the check valve in place on any pumper #2 bowl or the carb will just continue to fill and overflow.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/02/24 10:56
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

lost a part, anyone know where to find a new one? 24 Feb 2006 12:22 #26135

• solomrus
  • User
for sure not worth it to buy the kit if not needed. i'll make one that will work for it tonight, or i will find the one i lost. it's there, just a lot of places where it could have gone. 8^(

i guess i'll have a go at freeing up the check ball in the bowl passage. it looks like you could carefully drill/dremel out the brass plug, work on the ball, then put it back in. maybe a person could even tap it for a small grub screw as a repair?

dunno, i guess i'll have to decide if it's worth it or not.

thanks for the help everyone.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

• Page: