Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Altitude 15 Feb 2006 21:02 #24186

• dannyh
  • dannyh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Over the past year I moved from Utah (4500 ft) to Mississippi (sea level) to Washington (1800 ft). In Utah my bike (82 550 LTD) ran well but had a difficult time starting. In Mississippi it was easy to start and ran fairly, but surged a bit while holding the throttle steady. I have not adjusted the carbs at all, ever. Assuming the carbs were set correctly for the Utah altitude, will I need to adjust them now that I am 2700 ft lower in elevation? If so, what adjustments will I need to make? (ie air fuel mixture screws)
I have not been able to ride here in Spokane due to the 25 degree temperature. Any help is always much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Altitude 16 Feb 2006 05:24 #24234

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Are these CV or round slide carburetors and what is the current jetting?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Altitude 16 Feb 2006 18:58 #24373

• dannyh
  • dannyh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I am not sure which type of carb I have. Maybe I can narrow it down.

Here is a link to the correct rebuild kit for them: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KZ550-G...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This is the wrong kit for them: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KZ550-K...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

However, I have no idea what the jetting is. I assume it is stock jetting for 4500 ft. You know what happens when you assume....

Altitude 16 Feb 2006 19:19 #24378

• ltdluke80
  • User
i beleive an 82 had cv carbs. and since you say you have never been in the carbs i would consider a simple carb clean to rid most of the problem. you need to make sure your carbs have either air mix or fuel mix adjustments. once you determine that you should go to stock setting and work from there. your spark plugs can give you a general idea on running condition. as far as jetting is concerned, there's alot of variables. you need to find specs for your elevation.

Post edited by: ltdluke80, at: 2006/02/16 22:21

Altitude 17 Feb 2006 07:46 #24459

• fergyfer
  • User
How long have you had the bike? It sounds like it might be overdue for a carb cleaning and adjusting anyway, and that would eliminate some variables/questions, and you will be able to find out what jetting you have as well, and it might just eliminate the problem you are having. Just a thought.

Altitude 17 Feb 2006 11:59 #24505

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The carb kits you showed as being correct are for the TK 22mm round slide I think. You ran OK in Utah but the bike was a bit hard to start? Then it starts OK in Mississippi but surges? Your jetting should have been LEAN relative to the jetting required in Miss. The hard starting can be an issue separate from the surging issue. I would probably just raise the jet needle some to compensate and while in there determine what jetting is actually used now to see if it is stock. Adjusting the air screws won't do much to resolve the surging issue. Your bike is likely a tad lean in the mid-range. If you need help with the carburetors drop me a note offline.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: