Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Throttle cable free-up 13 Feb 2006 22:05 #23729

• xstreamcanadian
  • xstreamcanadian's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
How do I free up the throttle cables on an SR650. It has dual cables and both are stuck to the point where I can only turn the throttle an inch or so. I suspect this is more to do with the carbs than the cable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Throttle cable free-up 13 Feb 2006 22:09 #23730

• wireman
  • Visitor
disconect both ends and try moving cable,if it isnt all chewed up squirt some oil down them and reinstall,check throttle and linkage while its all apart. :whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

Throttle cable free-up 13 Feb 2006 23:05 #23739

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Loosen the locknuts and remove the cable ends from the carbs. Flip the carb open with your finger to make sure that it's not the problem, and "rev" the throttle to see if the cables are free.

If they're not, remove the two screws on the underside of the handgrip housing (one is by the kill switch, the other towards the front of the bike) and flip the cover aside.

Using whatever spray lubricant you have, keep spraying small amounts of lube on both the front and back side of the cable housing. It'll work its way down into the cables eventually.

If they're really frozen, I'd start with PB Blaster or WD-40, then once they're free I'd probably hit it with some chain lube for kicks.

• Page: