• Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone running 30mm throttle bodies on KZ1000J/P 13 Feb 2006 06:32 #23502

• Duck
  • Duck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Was looking through the parts boxes and rediscovered the 30mm throttle bodies that came as an extra with my GPz1100. It has 35mm(approx bore measurement). I suspect these are stock but found no info in the FSM.

I'm wondering if anyone is using the 30mm on a 998CC and how they are working out. Suspect I could crank up fuel pressure a bit if there's not enough room in duty cycle to make them work but would like some feedback before spending a bunch of time.

Also:
Curious as to low budget sources of injectors that fit.
In market for used megasquirt EFI controller.

Thanks.

-Duck

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/02/13 09:34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone running 30mm throttle bodies on KZ1000J/P 13 Feb 2006 08:59 #23522

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I don't see any problem with using then on a 1000 since the Suzuki GSXR600 uses larger ones :)

Why a used MegaSquirt when a new complete kit only cost $140?
KD9JUR

Anyone running 30mm throttle bodies on KZ1000J/P 13 Feb 2006 11:44 #23543

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Once again I wasn't clear :-)

The GPz1100 came with 35mm throttle bodies on it. They are still on it. The 30mm TBs came in a box of 'extra parts' that I got with the GPz.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with the smaller TBs on the 998CC or larger engine...One would think that if 26mm carbs are OK then 30mm throttle bodies would work...so long as there is enough fuel.

As for used megasquirt...$140 new. I'd rather get one used for around $50-$70. Leaves more money for other parts...Go used vs new on a dozen or so parts in this $ range and I've saved enough to ship my 77 kz1k to Hawaii.

-Duck

Anyone running 30mm throttle bodies on KZ1000J/P 13 Feb 2006 15:59 #23599

• steell
  • User
Ok, now I understand :D

I knew the GPz1100 throttlebodies were larger than 30mm, but I figured you had just measured wrong :)

Is the spacing on the 30mm throttlebodies the same as the GPz1100? I thought the GPz750 Turbo throttlebodies were 32mm but I don't know for sure (and I'm to lazy to go measure them at the moment). I think the 30's would be a tad to small for the 1000, probably work ok at low to mid range rpm but hurt the top end hp. You can generally get GSXR600-1300 throttlebodies on eBay for $100 or less (there I go, spending your money again) :D

Have you checked the classified ads on the MS site? I see unassembled kits on there once in awhile, used assembled units seem to go for ~$200.
By the way, there is a new MicroSquirt designed for motorcycles that should be available in 2-3 months, I have no idea what it will cost though.
KD9JUR

Anyone running 30mm throttle bodies on KZ1000J/P 13 Feb 2006 16:39 #23609

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Steell-

These could be from a GPx750. They plug right into the boots on the 1100. Maybe they are 32mm. Coudl have had the caliper cocked. Either way they'll flow more air than 26mm carbs. Once a MS-EFI turns up I'll have to give them a try.

$140 for kit and $200 for used assembled? Is it possible to put together 5, sell 4 and have one for time spent? I'm really quick with electronics assembly. Have done a number of production runs in the basement.

Hopefully the 1100 will go back together this weekend. Need to find or make an oil pan gasket. Removed to make sure PO's missing parts weren't just misplaced :-O Jeff doesn't sell except in a full gasket/seal kit.

Other than that just need to take the head apart to clean up chips from repair and check valves&springs&guides and install new seals. Will flow and pattern test the injectors and make sure all the EFI sensors are behaving before puzzling all the intake parts back together.

Did I miss anything? Valve check includes a very light lap to check sealing.

-Duck

Anyone running 30mm throttle bodies on KZ1000J/P 13 Feb 2006 18:21 #23645

• steell
  • User
Assembled MS units usually go for ~$250 on eBay, so you could assemble two kits and pay for the third :D
Seems like an awful lot of people just don't feel comfortable with assembling one.
I bought a set of GSXR throttlebodies (36mm) on eBay for $30 including shipping, so it is possible to find a good deal sometimes, but then I bought a set of 83 GPz1100 throttlebodies that turned out to be 81 throttlebodies with no place for the injectors, and then the seller disappeared :(
KD9JUR

• Page: