Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 KZ550A4 with wrong jets. 09 Feb 2006 06:17 #22695

• PaPP
  • PaPP's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Moved the thread as to avoid confusion. Thanks guys.

I have the KZ550A4, Podz Piped and looking to jet. Someone had worked on the bike before, but said there were issues with the carbs and jetting it or something, so that's all I knew when I bought it.

I'm along the same lines, and took out the pilot and main jet to scan for ya'll to help me with, if you could. Here's a pic:

It looks like there's a "K" with a "95" next to it on the side of the main jet, and my photoshop version shows me a "32" on the top of the pilot jet. Do we think this jet has been drilled out?

Issues with the bike - high idle after warming up, weak accelleration, back hissing through the carbs. Pipe necks have blued SEVERELY since then.

Had some issues with it stalling on me for a while, but I think that was fuel delivery.
Thoughts? Should I just order some Keihin 105's from Jeff and they'll screw right in?

These are TEKEI CV carbs. Stock size for mains off the kawasaki site are 110's. Don't know what that equate's to.

PaPP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 KZ550A4 with wrong jets. 09 Feb 2006 11:57 #22740

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Unfortunately, there are no pilot jet replacements for your Teikei carbs. The mains can be swapped with Keihin small headed main jets as the thread is the same. I would guess that #120s would be a good place to start. You will probably have to shim the jet needles. Jet needle shims and the Keihin main jets can be had from z1enterprises.com... Tell the owner what you are trying to do, as in swapping Keihin jets for Teikei. I am not really sure what diameter your jet needles are but I am pretty certain there are two sizes (inside hole diameter) for the shims so you had best measure the jet needle diameter up where they have clips... This is unless there are slots on the jet needles already and if that is the case, you might move the eclip down one slot on each from its current position. You will have to rely on pilot mixture screw adjustment to tune the pilot system since larger main jets are not readily available.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

1983 KZ550A4 with wrong jets. 09 Feb 2006 15:53 #22781

• PaPP
  • User
Thanks for the reply and the thread help, George. Any idea what they'd be doing with 95's in this bike anyways if stock is 110?

I'll pick up 120's from Jeff at Z1 tonight.

1983 KZ550A4 with wrong jets. 10 Feb 2006 06:23 #22899

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Not sure why the carbs were rejetted downwards... perhaps it was owned by somebody living at a higher elevation... like Colorado or Mt. Everest or something? Folks do things that are hard to figure sometimes...

BTW: Now that I think of it, I suspect you could go to your local Harley shop and pick up the main jets. The bigtwins use Keihin CV40 carbs and the main jets should be the same although they may not carry anything that small... Perhaps for the Sportster model... not sure what type carbs but they are probably smaller Keihin CV type carbs (guessing).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

1983 KZ550A4 with wrong jets. 10 Feb 2006 14:47 #22992

• PaPP
  • User
Good idea. . . just called though and the smallest was 130's. :o(

Oh well, I'm excited to get the jets from jeff, and I remember thinking that it was a fuel screw, not an air screw on the carbs, so I was cranking it OUT an extra 1/2 turn, not IN. So with stock for my bike reading at 1 and 1/4 or so, I'll take it down to 1/2 and work the way down from there.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how it goes! Also time for some FORK servicing. . and a new post. ;o)

• Page: