Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

should i dip my carbs? 07 Feb 2006 01:24 #22079

• dnestell
  • dnestell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i just got a 78 kz650c from my father. it has 10,000 miles on it and has been sitting for about oh...17 years! when he put it up in storage it started but wouldn't rev above 2000rpms. he didn't really try too hard to fix it. when i looked at the bike i kicked it over and it moved freely. i tried to turn the throttle and it was stuck. it feels like it moves alittle but i'm not sure. there is gas in the tank from when my father stored it. i'm not sure if i should dismantle the carb and dip it or what? opinions, advice, HELP!:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

should i dip my carbs? 07 Feb 2006 01:52 #22081

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
YES, you should take the carbs apart and dip them, but only if you want the bike to run. Order carb kits and a factory repair manual from Jeff Saunders at Z1 Enterprises. You'll also want to drain all that old gasoline and flush the tank and inspect it for rust inside. You'll need to clean out and possibly kit the petcock, too. You'll also want to flush the old brake fluid and replace it with new fluid, and maybe clean out the master cylinder and calipers (again, you might have to kit them). After 17 years the battery will be dead, the tires will be rotten, and the oil and filter will need to be changed (oil will lose it's magic from age, not just mileage).

Oh yeah, we're going to want to see lots of pictures!
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: