Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 19 Jan 2006 10:04 #18674

• TLH101
  • TLH101's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Where should the overflow drain hoses from the carbs, and 2 bowl vent hoses be directed. I can see that drains go to right side of the bike, but do they tuck under & down somewhere? All I can tell about the vents, is they go "up", but where to? I have searched for some pics but no luck.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 19 Jan 2006 11:56 #18685

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
On some bikes, the vent tubes are routed to the airbox. On some bikes, they terminate up under the tank. You just put a wiretie around them without pinching them. On some bikes, you can just run them back over the swingarm which I prefer since the purpose of the hose is to route gas away from a hot engine in the event of a tip over. Seems to me that routing under the tank defeats the purpose of getting the gas away from the hot engine if the bike tips. I never use ANY hoses on the vents since I swap carbs so frequently. Just take my chances that I won't go rubberside up...

As far as the vent hoses, there is a rubber bit that loops around your swingarm pivot arm. The other end has a loop that you pull the overflow hoses through. It should be directly under your rear brake switch. If you don't have one, tie them together loosely (so they don't pinch) with a wire tie and then use another wiretie to secure the loop containing the drain hoses to the area I described. Again, the point is to not have gas slopping on your hot engine.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 19 Jan 2006 12:25 #18692

• TLH101
  • User
That's what I needed. Thanks George. If you decide to come south for a visit, give me a shout.

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 19 Jan 2006 12:50 #18701

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Don't know if you saw the latest "Ride Texas" top 10 issue but it had SR35 listed which goes between Houston and Corpus along the coast. I have never been on that road and my wife and I decided we would try it in the near future.

They also listed SR16 and US83 as the two top roads in South Texas. We did those roads last weekend going to Hebronville then over to Laredo and back up home going through Corrizo Springs and then up to Hwy 90 via back roads. A great trip but 16 and 83 have to be the most boring roads on the planet unless you like to look at hunting blinds and brush bwhahaha
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 19 Jan 2006 14:26 #18720

• TLH101
  • User
I have traveled 35 several times between here and Galvaston, or Houston. It's sure beats 77/59 when I go that way. Have not been up by bike, though. This is my first bike since I moved to Texas in '93.
What is "Ride Texas", have not seen it.

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 19 Jan 2006 15:13 #18733

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
TLH101:
Here's a picture of the carb drain lines on my bike. They're green, and run down the right side, and under the swing arm. If you look hard, you might see a black rubber hose keeper near the top of the picture. But wiredgeorge is right... you can gather the hoses with a twist tie or tie wrap. Just don't pinch them.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 19 Jan 2006 15:18 #18736

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
The 4 overflow tubes run like everyone has already mentioned. The 2 clear tubes that are your vents for the carburetors that point up go back towards the rear of the motorcycle then are just left dangling near the battery box somewhere on a 1978 KZ650.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 20 Jan 2006 06:17 #18859

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I subscribe to a LOT of motorcycle magazines but my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE is "Ride Texas". It has a little bit of bike and product reviews but a real healthy dose or Texas touring info. Best places to stay, eat and see in the state. I think it comes out 6 or 8 times a year and I subscribe as it is sold out fast in the Walmart! The folks who write are all avid Texans and riders.
www.texmoto.com/

Try subscribing and you will be hooked. It is a family oriented bike magazine and it is the ONLY one that I get that my wife reads looking for info for our next trip or meal run.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 20 Jan 2006 14:35 #18958

• TLH101
  • User
Kool, I am going to have to check that out. Looks like a pretty good mag.
BTW, got the bike up and running today. Runs pretty damn good for a free scooter. Did not find any issues with the test ride. I still dont have it registered yet so I kept the ride short, just around the block a couple of times. I have only about $175 in parts, to get it going, so I can afford all the little extras now.
Thanks for all your help.

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 21 Jan 2006 07:06 #19039

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I always wondered what that little black rubber "figure 8" was for- now I know! Thanks

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 21 Jan 2006 10:15 #19085

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
One other note about the vent hoses: On my 750, there is a little tab on the frame gussett to hold the vent tube up and out of the way. Look right under the rear gas tank bumper. Don't know if 650's have it there.

More \"Stupid\" Questions; Hose Routing 23 Jan 2006 09:38 #19476

• CRASH!
  • User
I've got an '80 LTD550. My vent tubes (that run up under the tank from nipples (it's a technical term LOL) on the two outside carb intake boots, lead to a diaphram valve?

Is it California Emissions equpiment? This valve also has vent tubes to either side head cover. I bought a Emgo filter for the head vents, but should I plug or leave open the carb vent lines?

Also I'm ditching the airbox for pods (I know, I know) will the more open pods play into this equation? (ie. should I block the vent ports?)

Thanks for the help.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

• Page: