Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

BS 34 carbs 12 Jan 2006 08:03 #17457

• tw..
  • tw..'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm working on the carbs on my 1995 kz 1000 police bike. The bike sat outside under a deck for about 2 maybe three years. When i removed the carbs all the floats was stuck open and the slides were stuck in the half open position.

I removed and cleaned up everything and replace all the jets back to the previous settings, the floats are working properly and the slides are moving. I can only get the bike running by putting gas in each of the cylinders and the bike on full choke. The bike will run only on full choke and half choke.

Now before i go blindly back into the carbs i wanted to get some advice on how to proceed and maybe have a couple of questions answered.

1. What are factory settings should i be mostly concerned with?

2. I was being gentle in freeing up the slides, however the slides will only move from the half open to full open position. Are these slides still gummed up? Should these slides operate like the 26mm slides on my 76 kz900 in such a way that they are just about closed when the throttle is closed?

3. I did not completly disassemble all four carbs, could i have missed something by not doing so?
2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BS 34 carbs 12 Jan 2006 08:57 #17465

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
I messed with a set of these on the gs1000 and there were a lot of areas that needed cleaning.

Look at the diagram showing all the fuel and air flow passages.
The all need to be clean. Also all the small holes in the main jet emulsion tubes need to be clean. On mine, the idle mix adjustment was fixed with thread lock cement and I didn't want to take the needles out. I finally did after not being able to get it to idle right and found the O-rings were crumbling.

Don't dip the diaphragms they are expensive. Probably best not to dip anything with rubber or plastic.

-Duck

BS 34 carbs 12 Jan 2006 12:05 #17505

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Mr. tw.. Sounds like professional help is needed bwhahaha The carbs were not adequately cleaned... For Duck... the GS1000 never had BS34 carbs on it from the factory. They came with VM26 round slide carbs. The later GS1100 had the similar BS34s (as do the XJ1100) but the zuki carbs had a remote choke. It isn't simple to convert the remote choke to a side-pull choke like Kaws use.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

BS 34 carbs 12 Jan 2006 13:22 #17517

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Ah, the succinct pro :-)

Please direct your attention to page 10 of the GS1000GT addendum in the FSM. "Carburetor ... BS34SS". Bike here has them and they came on it.

TW, there is an exploded diagram and fuel-air path diagram for the BS34 in the GS1000GT addendum, manual link below. Sorry, I forget which adobe pages.

Manual
omma.edebris.com/manuals/suzuki/GS1000
Original carbs, rejetted for the dinky pods.
photos.edebris.com/catalog/photo/5403/1024/1024/90.jpg

I haven't looked at the 87 police carbs in a few months, but IIRC the only thing I'd need to do to convert 'choke' is replace the coupling rod that actuates the four diverters(as I like to call them) on the GS with the rod from the police bike. After getting the cable widget that moves the rod out of the way of course. Could be wrong. Memory isn't what it used to be.

Your amateur mechanic friend,

-Duck

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/01/12 16:52

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/01/12 16:52

BS 34 carbs 12 Jan 2006 16:57 #17554

• Z-doctor
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
95 police bikes came with 34mm CV carbs,but I am not sure of the designation.It does sound like more cleaning is needed.I always hold the jets up to the light,and make sure I can see light thru the hole.Remove the emulsion tubes,clean them up,and remove the pilot screws,do a clean up ,too.Use air to make sure all passage ways are open,while they are apart.

BS 34 carbs 13 Jan 2006 07:05 #17683

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Duck...
AHA! I guess I have never seen a GS1000GT. Is it a stateside model or foreign model? All of the GS1000 models I have seen with one exception used VM26. One overseas model... I think it was the GS1000S used VM32 carburetors which I have NEVER seen.

Z-Doctor! I thought you had left never to be seen again. Good to see you back to the kzrider web site. It is still ugly, but it IS home bwhahaha I have been urging Stein to take away the ugly whiteness but I doubt it is high on his priorities!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

BS 34 carbs 13 Jan 2006 08:39 #17700

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
WG-

It's a USA model. The T designates 1980 the G designates shaft drive. Hopefully TW can use the diagram in the manual to make sure he has everything clean.

I got this bike back in the fall when I first started wrenching bikes. Was trying to beg a choke plunger from you on thegsresources forum. Your advice was quite helpful in getting the bike going.

I had to use some spacers on the needle to get the midrange to behave. Caught some crap from one of the members over RPM vs throttle position in determining where the mix was off. Don't think he understood that I was referring to RPM under WOT while accelerating, which is directly related to main jet needle(slide) position on the vacuum type CV carbs.

Anyway you can see in the photo that the only clean parts on the bike are the carbs and the new HT wires and plug boots :-)
Pulls like an ox and weighs almost as much as an ox too. Which is why I want to sell it. It's too good to part out but I don't like the weight of the big fairing and find the torque-suspension interaction a bit disconcerting. It's a much nicer ride with the fairing off but that doesn't change the, IMO, weird shaft drive feel.

-Duck

BS 34 carbs 13 Jan 2006 09:13 #17711

• tw..
  • User
Duck for some unknown reason i cannot open the file you referenced. I guess i will have to go out and get a shop manual for this particular bike.

I've gone to buykawasaki.com and printed the carb diagrams and this weekend i'm going to give it one more try. I'm going pull everything apart hit it with some carb cleaner and compressed air and hope it does the trick. the carbs really didn't look all that bad when o frist pulled them apart so i'm thinking its a port or passage that a missed the first go round. if it doesn't work i'll be mailing WG a set of carbs to be cleaned the right way.

Should the slides be almost closed when the throttle is closed? right now they seem to stop at the half way closed position.
2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

BS 34 carbs 13 Jan 2006 10:50 #17723

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
TW, Sorry, I've got some organizing to do with database...

I've linked temporarily to my home directory

edebris.com/~bob/GS1000_MANUAL.pdf

-bob

BS 34 carbs 13 Jan 2006 11:10 #17726

• tw..
  • User
thanks Duck this manual will help alot.

tw
2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

BS 34 carbs 17 Jan 2006 05:13 #18221

• tw..
  • User
thanks everyone for the replies to my post. I got my bike running this weekend. As it turned out the pilot jets was clogged. I didn't realize that the pilot jet was under the plug just behind the main jet. I thought the pilot jet and the air mixture jet on the outside of the carb was the same thing.

Thanks again everybody for posting. It really helped me in getting my bike running.

tw
2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

BS 34 carbs 20 Jan 2006 05:25 #18849

• tw..
  • User
One last question regarding these carbs,

How do i remove the brass sleeve that the main jet screws in to? OR should i not try to remove it and use carb cleaner and copmressed air to clean it? I'm trying to make sure the complete gas flow area for the pilot jets is clean.

The bike idles but it does not idle as well as i want it to and i suspect thats the problem area.

tw
2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

• Page: