Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 06:41 #734548

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
The green Dyna 3-ohm ignition coils shown in the photo are a correct match for the Dyna-S ignition.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJCrader

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Patton.

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 06:53 #734551

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610

Kidkawie wrote:

AJCrader wrote: I am very green when it comes to working on bikes.

Why on Earth did you get that thing then? You cant throw stock parts at it and think its going to run right.

There's another one like this here. The guy asks for advice but doesn't take it. It's not a street bike and without detuning it, it never will be.
Steve

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 07:04 #734558

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
Point is, cars/bikes like that you need to know how it was built and how to work on them. Being able to wrench on a stock bike is totally different than getting into race bikes. What pistons or cams are in it? What was done to the head? What carbs were on it and what settings? I hope the previous owner has all that info.

There's a reason those drag bikes are cheap.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 07:13 #734565

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610

AJCrader wrote: This is what I have so far, and the plugs are B10ES

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ridge around the engine number appears to have been ground off. The cam chain adjuster is backwards. I suggest taking the cam cover off to see what cams are in the engine. They might be adjustable so the timing can be detuned for the street if desired.
Steve

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 07:40 #734573

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
That bike had a turbo system on it ;)
If you look at the picture of the motor that is taken of the oil pressure sending sensor you can see a oil to turbo supply line threaded into the piece right below it.

You either need to buy a turbo setup or convert the bike back to carbs and a headerpipe.
But 1rst I would tear the motor apart and see what you really have for internal parts and the condition of those parts.
You have at least 2 dragstrips in the Phoenix area ( Firebird and Speedworld )and I would visit the strips and see if you can pick some bike racers brains for help

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJCrader

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 09:46 #734584

• AJCrader
  • AJCrader's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I see a bunch of questions/comments here and I am going to try to reply to all...here goes nothing

1st, I got in touch with a buddy last night and found out his dad is a KZ guru locally, he is going to help me go through the motor and everything...been racing KZs for like 30 years, thankfully he is willing to help, but he is not available for 3 weeks.

2nd, I have been around drag racing, and racing cars since before I can remember, but mostly slower sportsman stuff due to funds...I know how to wrench just new to bikes, and I have always wanted a drag bike, but I am looking for real help, and I am well aware that stock parts won't work, which is why I am here asking questions...for example, I know stock carbs won't work...oh and yes, drag race only

3rd, yes it was a turbo bike, previous owner bought it, took turbo stuff off and never re-built it, I am not looking to go super fast, just looking for a consistent smooth riding bike to bracket race

Lastly, a huge thanks to everyone! I am not just some fly by night wannabe, I race a mustang in the local ET series(top finisher the last 2 yrs), building a 532BBFord to go into an 81 Fairmont wagon...oh and Speedworld here has been closed for over 3yrs now, to the dismay of many!

AJ
Drag bike, 1220cc Z1R KZ project

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 10:31 #734586

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Glad you have the background to make this a success
Didnt know about Speedworld closing as I have not been back to Phoenix since I left about 7 years ago.
No telling what you will find for parts in the motor till you look.
Could be turbo cams which are close to stock and low compression pistons for lots of boost
Or maybe the PO started changing parts for the carbs and header which he didnt complete.
Regardless Best wishes on your racing the bike.
Schintz Racing, Orient Express, APE will be top vendors for go fast parts, or call Terry Kizer at MR Turbo and reinstall the beast
Dave B) B) B)

Racing is cheap / Winning is Expensive ;)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 11:13 #734590

• AJCrader
  • User

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Glad you have the background to make this a success
Didnt know about Speedworld closing as I have not been back to Phoenix since I left about 7 years ago.
No telling what you will find for parts in the motor till you look.
Could be turbo cams which are close to stock and low compression pistons for lots of boost
Or maybe the PO started changing parts for the carbs and header which he didnt complete.
Regardless Best wishes on your racing the bike.
Schintz Racing, Orient Express, APE will be top vendors for go fast parts, or call Terry Kizer at MR Turbo and reinstall the beast
Dave B) B) B)

Racing is cheap / Winning is Expensive ;)

Thanks, I expect to just get it running and have some fun racing it, keep it fairly low key

AJ

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 11:38 #734594

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
Find a KZ1000 and plop that engine in.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 13:09 #734605

• AJCrader
  • User

Kidkawie wrote: Find a KZ1000 and plop that engine in.

Might do that if the motor is useless, but I'll wait until I can get it checked out first!

AJ

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 19:44 #734630

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298

swest wrote: B10ES are too cold.
Steve

That depends.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Re:New Project 11 Jul 2016 20:23 #734632

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Nice score. Don't be intimidated! Thats not an NHRA prostock!. It's a simple old school machine. Your lucky if was a turbo. This way you have lower comp. pistons and regular camshafts. The intake port are opened up on the head.
There the ebay cult guru oinkonajohnson guy that sells dragbike parts every day all day for th last 10 years.
Pull the head and see whats in there. 1220? would mean 1260cc's that was popular. I ran a 1260 alky turbo engine with 10:1 comp. pistons with Andrews 3X cams. shim on top buckets and 37.5 super pro mikuni's for 10 years ran 6.0's in the 1/8.
You got a great start there! just hope your top end is ok. If not, find a stock engine. Parts are plentiful for what you need.
clean it up and take some more pics with the body off.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!