Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

First track day tire (non-Kz)? 27 Sep 2012 14:54 #551180

• StreetfighterKz
  • StreetfighterKz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
The '89 Gsxr750 I just picked up was amateur raced in the early 90's. All the critical items have already been safety wired so I was thinking why not do a couple track days in 2013 with it. The tires that are on it are almost 20 years old and I only really trust them to ride around the block.

To get to my point, what type/kind of tire would you guys recommend for a track day?

Super sticky, dual compound, normal sport tire?

I do plan on riding it on the street some but I have my Monster for daily riding.

Thanks.

Regards, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First track day tire (non-Kz)? 27 Sep 2012 15:39 #551194

• Tomolu5
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
I like metzler Rs-2's for a sticky tire that will put up with limited street use
Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

First track day tire (non-Kz)? 27 Sep 2012 16:16 #551205

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
will it take 17"? if so i find the Dunlop Q2's to be the best for the money.they r a street tire.
i run them on my cbr600 for trackdays only. i have read reveiws and found they were tops with the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP . the Dunlop’s can be found for a cheaper price.
i have used both and had no issues .

to be honest, i dont think mere mortals can tell the dif. u would have to be riding in the edge of grip and sliding to compare there grip.
the Dunlop is considered a harder carcass than the Pirelli. I can adjust my forks valve shims internally, to compensate for it, but I cant feel the dif.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

First track day tire (non-Kz)? 27 Sep 2012 16:33 #551211

• StreetfighterKz
  • StreetfighterKz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117

mark1122 wrote: will it take 17"?

Yeah, the stock rims are 3.5x17" F/4.5x17" rear. Stock tires sizes are 120/70-17 (front) and 160/60-17 (rear).

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

First track day tire (non-Kz)? 27 Sep 2012 18:22 #551231

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Thats perfect. i'm sure they must make those sizes. :)
as a novice track day rider , u dont need the best tires money can buy.
i run Dunlop Road Smarts, on my KZ for trackdays. they r a sport touring, 2 compound tire. since i cant lean the kz over as far as the cbr (due to ground clearance)i dont need as much stickum, and they will last longer.they have not slid on me yet. but i would prefer a stickier tire in these cool, fall conditions. :)
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

First track day tire (non-Kz)? 27 Sep 2012 21:50 #551260

• Mpls ugly
  • User
  • 78 kz1000 plus alot of zipties
  • Thank you received: 0
i ran race take offs on my kz for a while, cheap and awesome on the track and good on the road it just took a while for me to trust them because they dont get as warm as quick on the road

just my 2 cents
two wheels not four

First track day tire (non-Kz)? 28 Sep 2012 17:48 #551438

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72

StreetfighterKz wrote: The '89 Gsxr750 I just picked up was amateur raced in the early 90's. All the critical items have already been safety wired so I was thinking why not do a couple track days in 2013 with it. The tires that are on it are almost 20 years old and I only really trust them to ride around the block.

To get to my point, what type/kind of tire would you guys recommend for a track day?

Super sticky, dual compound, normal sport tire?

I do plan on riding it on the street some but I have my Monster for daily riding.

Thanks.

Regards, Doug

neat, besides racing Gpz's, I am a big fan of air-oil Gsxr's..... got a few :)

Dont know what level of rider you are, but unless you are VERY good right from the go (rare), DOT Sport tires will be good enough, no need for track compounds. And then you can still use them on the street after your track day (unless you had so many session that they are totally knackered :) ) avoid sport touring tires

Today's level for all makers is so high that it will be hard to tell you "this is the one". Pirelli Diablo Rosso, Michelin Power Pilot, Conti Sport Attack, Bridgeston 016 or 003, they all will better than you....

Suggest you start with normal road pressures and spend two laps heating them up. lower cold pressures a bit if you start going fast enough to make them move around.

Best of all try doing some sort of school before...

Last edit: by turboguzzi.

First track day tire (non-Kz)? 28 Sep 2012 17:58 #551439

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
track school that is

Last edit: by turboguzzi.
  • Page: