Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

To Track; or not to Track? 12 Aug 2012 13:45 #542101

• cmarsh61
  • cmarsh61's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I've taken the advise of a couple of you folks to start my own post. I'm rarely on the computer at home; I'm on one most everyday at work and when I'm home I'm either riding or working on "something" so don't be surprised if it takes a day or two for me to reply.

Ok; I'm 51, good career with 5 years until retirement (minimum). Divorced and kids are all grown up and gone. I've always been a gearhead and the family mechanic. I've done a little drag racing and I use to rebuild motors on the side. Doing a frame up restoration on my 70 Chevelle SS that I've had since 1980. I was going to get back on the Chevelle this winter but that may be pushed back again. Looking to have a hip replaced this winter.

Bikes: My Dads side of the family has alwasy rode bikes, including my Grandpa. I learned to ride in the fields and woods and had a rode bike before I had my license or a car. My cousin had a 76 KZ900 back in the day (80-82) that I thought was the coolest bike on the planet. I'd let him drive my Chevelle, he'd let me ride his 9. So when it was time to get a bike again back in the late 90s, I decided to find an ole 9, which I did. Got it rode worthy and put about 40K miles on it. I also picked up an 86 Yamaha Venture for the long rides, and a couple years ago I picked up an 85 Honda V65. Two years ago I tore the 9 down to the frame and restored it, not touching the motor cause....it didn't need it. (Pictures are on this site). All that to say I ride, I've ridden for a long long time, and I turn wrenches.

My girlfriend and I rode the 9 to Mid Ohio to the vintage motorcycle days a couple weeks ago. It was a great weekend. Lots and lots of old cool bikes, and a lot of vintage racing. I did the "lap for History" where we got to do about 3 laps around Mid Ohio. Yes it was lead by track officials but each lap got a bit more aggressive.

My love of the old 9s, the history (they ARE the original superbike), being on the track and watching the vintage racing all working together has caused a problem. I have a 77 KZ1000 LTD I want to build for the steet, going thru the motor uping the volume and basically making good looking, fast, reliable, good handling and comfortable old rocket. I also have another 76 KZ900 parts bike along with a couple other 900 motors. I didn't really have any plans for the parts bike until Mid Ohio.

Now I can't get out of my head the thought of building a 9 for the track and going racing in AHRMA or WERA etc. From what I saw it's only as competetive as you want it to be. I wouldn't stray far from home (Southern Indiana) until I retired and got a feel for everything. If I liked it then after I retire I may travel to tracks farther away. If not, sell out.

I fully realize building and racing a 9 (or 1000) would put me into the vingage superbike heavy class which is like jumping into the deep end of the pool to learn how to swim. I know, I know. But; that's the parts and bikes I have, and that's the bikes I have knowledge working on. I've thought the last week or two about finding a couple 650's and going that route but I'd still be in the middle weight class.

I'm looking for advise. I fully realizing I'll likely go through the better part of 10K before it's said and done and I'll be luck if I get half that back if I decide it's not for me and sell out. However; you can't take it with you when your gone and you only live once. Being out on the track has got to be a fn blast!!!
1976 KZ 900 daily driver
1885 Honda V65 Magna daily driver
1986 Yahama Venture (couch)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

To Track; or not to Track? 12 Aug 2012 14:47 #542109

• dbsuperbiker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
ride a trackday first. if racing is for you, go for it...if it's not for you, build the bike and find a rider. It's all fun!

To Track; or not to Track? 12 Aug 2012 20:58 #542165

• cmarsh61
  • User
dbsuperbiker,
Thanks and that's sound advise (nice looking ride by the way). I'm about an hour south of Indianapolis IN. Do you know of any tracks within 3-4 hours of me that have track days and they allow street bikes? (inspected prior to being allowed on the course is taken for granted). If I located a track that allowed me to take my 9 out and thrash on it for a dozen laps or so; that would be groovy.

I already know the outcome, I know me. I don't know if I'd ever be competetive or not, but I know there'd be a grin under the helmet.

I'd feel much more comfortable thrashing my old ride than I would someone elses. I know what to expect out of my old girl. Throwing my leg over a strange bike and hitting the track......I'd be afraid of hurting someones equipment, and I'd be nervous not knowing what to expect on a strange bike. (some folks have no idea wtf they are doing when it comes to turning wrences on vehicles).

Ok; lets say that happens and I decide to give it a go. I know motors. I don't know bike suspensions. I don't know what works on these old machines and what does not. I know that code was broken a long time ago. What I'd like to know is where does one find that information. Basically the cook book of how to modify a KZ into the best handling, best stopping heavy POS it can be. Front forks, valving/springs, rim/tire sizes, brakes, gearing, rear shocks, type, mounting location, swing arm, swing arm bushings, transmission; will stock hold up or so I need to get the gears back cut? That's the real "stuff" I'd dearly love to locate.

Thanks! Chuck Marsh
1976 KZ 900 daily driver

To Track; or not to Track? 12 Aug 2012 22:26 #542182

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I'm a 57 year old grandfather of 4. No "spring chicken" here, :lol: but this sounds like something I'd love to do!! :laugh:

I've been to Mid-Ohio for the vintage racing the last 2 summers and rode the same laps you rode this year, a year ago. Really fun, but nothing like a full-on track day!!

My brother talked me into taking our street bikes to a day-long track day a few weeks ago here in Ontario, Canada. We went to Calabogie Motorsports Park near Ottawa. Our day was run by a very competent company called Pro 6. They run all the track days at Calabogie, and a few at other tracks around southern Ontario.

I took my KZ1000 (avatar bike) and my brother took his zrx1200. Six separate 30 minute sessions, 3 in the am and 3 in the pm. We had a blast, but trust me, you don't learn a track like that (22 turns) in one day. I was told, you need at least 2 full days to get the true feel if you're not an experienced racer.

I'm quite sure there are many others here who could share their experiences on the track with you. I hope they chime in!

I think you SHOULD find a track, and go to a couple of track days with your street bike and see if you still want to go ahead with the track project. That would be the best way to get started with minimal investment, IMO.

Good luck! I'll be checking in on you here! B)
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

To Track; or not to Track? 13 Aug 2012 15:41 #542296

• cmarsh61
  • User
Thanks Drooz! I'm going to search for such a track around me. Affirmative on not learning a track in a few hours, or even a full day. BTW; I was out on the Indianapolis GP track Sat. Similar situation as Mid Ohio; I think we got up to 50 mph for a short duration once (That's got to be some kind of sin LOL). Got to ride the 9 across the yard of bricks. Be a lot more fun running WFO though. In asking around at work I may have located an old racer. That would be the best avenue I'd think, finding someone local who's been there and done that. At the minimum I'd hope he'd be willing to give me advise on tracks open to street bikes. I'd be fantastic if he'd be willing to coach me in building and riding. Time will tell. CM
1976 KZ 900 daily driver

To Track; or not to Track? 21 Aug 2012 07:08 #543812

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
i am 50 myself and still at it, and not even the oldest doing vintage racing herte in italy by far.

unless you are super willing to test also your abilities as a tuner, would try and acquire a prepped bike and not build form the ground up.

i did build my two racers but its never the easy option

good luck!

TG

To Track; or not to Track? 21 Aug 2012 13:54 #543902

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Track days r the greatest thing going. look into the closest tracks and see whats going on. often there r a few groups that rent the track and put these days on. it is reasonably cheap to buy an early 2000ish modern sport bike and head to the track. they r way safer and easier to ride than an old kz. i have an 01 cbr600. all u need is tires every 20 events. :)

Drew we have a track evening at Shanny on the 30th. 5:30 to 7:30. u should come and ride with us.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Page: