• Page:

TOPIC:

The top speed of a K1... 30 Apr 2012 02:25 #518758

• Hatchet
  • Hatchet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
  • Thank you received: 3
Let's talk about the road burnin' potential of an '83 KZ750 LTD K1. That's right, that odd Twin with the belt drive.

I just bought one of these suckers a couple of days ago for a hard bargain, and I'm currently in the "research" stage of restoration. I've compiled a good amount of info on it, like HP, torque, and the like, but nowhere has a mention of top speed.

Initially I was surprised at the speedometer max of 85 mph, but I later found out this was due to the mid-80's government/manufacturer speedo deal. Interesting piece of history, but it makes for a misleading impression of a bike :pinch:
So it's no question the bike can pull faster than 85, but how much so?

Anyone want to take a guess?
Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The top speed of a K1... 30 Apr 2012 02:56 #518760

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Fastest I ever had my chain-drive twin up to was about an indicated 95, doubt there is much to be had above that. The twins aren't speed machines, more just torquey cruisers. Claimed top speed was 102.5
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

The top speed of a K1... 30 Apr 2012 09:03 #518778

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
It will for sure go faster than 85, so be careful. Those speedometers were supposed to make cars and bikes safer (twisted logic) by not tempting riders to go above 85. Instead, they made bikes less safe. Example: My friend and I were riding back from superbike motorcycle races; I on my KZ650-C1 he on his KZ750 (4-cyl. I think a GpZ). On a very long stretch of smooth, traffic-free highway we get a little feisty and open up the bikes. I'm tucked in and running at an indicated 120 just at redline in 5th; he is riding in the lane next to me and pulls ahead of me; then slows; then pulls ahead then slows several times. 10 minutes (20 miles) later we pull off the highway for a burger (my heart is thumping!). He asks "why were you going so slow and wouldn't speed up?" I say "are you f'ing serious? I was flat out at 120 and didn't want to risk going beyond redline at that speed in case the engine blew up!" He says "120? Holy shyt! I thought we were going 85!" In fact, he had to be going at least 125 when he would pull away from me. I don't believe thinking you're going 85 when in fact you're going more than 120 is a safety feature. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

The top speed of a K1... 02 May 2012 10:56 #519316

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
with 55 hp claimed, about 40 hp at the rear wheel, top speed would be about 100-105 mph. Quite academic data as they would vibrate quite a bit at those speeds though.

some people are racing them here in italy,

the twins are not really competitive with a race prepped KZ750 four but they can be quite fast if tuned.
Attachments:

The top speed of a K1... 24 Jun 2012 17:32 #531469

• bluefleye
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Drool.

I like the simplicity and handling of twins, but wondered it the 750 was worthy of a weekend racing bike. Your image, is showing me that yes it is possible, and some are doing a great job of it.
Keep it up!
dc
1975 Honda CB 350 - Brother-in-law's project
1978 Honda CB 750 (/w Windjammer) - Dad's retirement gift, he cried.
1980 KZ 440 Ltd - Current project, LOVE KZs I'm a KAWA guy from now on
1987 Honda CBR 600 - Killed by a bad car driver
2000 Aprilia RS 50 - 80cc @ 14000 rpm = 120km/h... With a tail wind ;)

The top speed of a K1... 24 Jun 2012 17:38 #531472

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Hatchet wrote: Let's talk about the road burnin' potential of an '83 KZ750 LTD K1. That's right, that odd Twin with the belt drive.

I just bought one of these suckers a couple of days ago for a hard bargain, and I'm currently in the "research" stage of restoration. I've compiled a good amount of info on it, like HP, torque, and the like, but nowhere has a mention of top speed.

Initially I was surprised at the speedometer max of 85 mph, but I later found out this was due to the mid-80's government/manufacturer speedo deal. Interesting piece of history, but it makes for a misleading impression of a bike :pinch:
So it's no question the bike can pull faster than 85, but how much so?

Anyone want to take a guess?

To calculate it, you'd need the frontal area(including you on it, I guess), coefficient of drag (I dunno where you'd get that). But looking around, these twins make what, about 40hp? So you could get close to 100mph. You might need to lie on the tank and have a stiff tailwind too.

But like you said, thats just my guess! :-)
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

The top speed of a K1... 24 Jun 2012 19:35 #531494

• faffi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
If you're a normal sized male sitting upright behind them tall bars, expect about 90 mph honest top speed. If you want to look really daft and lay down with your arms above your head, you may see the ton on a good day. And people would larf at you :p
1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

The top speed of a K1... 25 Jun 2012 17:35 #531661

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
oh, how i love it when the original poster doesnt even care to check replies to his topic.... :)

sorta, why bother ?

The top speed of a K1... 25 Jun 2012 18:59 #531672

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
no worries though cause it took me about a week to get bored enough to check the top speed of this thread myself.......

i would think at sea level and with a decent twin ....slight downhill long straight...wind at your back.....well waxed helmet...one hand tucked in...laying on tank.....100 easy

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:

Last edit: by trianglelaguna.

The top speed of a K1... 25 Jun 2012 19:57 #531689

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
That's funny. :P
I couldn't begin to guess, never had one. But I do have a 67 W2SS 650 twin Kawasaki, specs show top speed of 110 mph. I doubt it myself but that's what they claim.

Les

The top speed of a K1... 05 Oct 2012 13:45 #552620

• darlington
  • User
  • S. Darlington
  • Thank you received: 3
My buddy road races one and he took the motor from 48HP to 78 and later 82 RWHP. He is an amazing rider and is hard to beet especially on the short tracks. He can easily stay with the liter KZ's. There a picture (poor one at that) on my website www.teamkz.ca 'bikes I built' at the bottom.
P.S his bike could easily do 125mph
Keeping the good times rolling since 1982. Helping people with parts ,technical support and service of the 70's 80's Kawasakis. Building road bike bikes for individuals involved in Vintage Road Racing in the eastern Ontario region.

Last edit: by darlington.

The top speed of a K1... 05 Oct 2012 17:18 #552642

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
www.amazon.com/gp/bit/apps/web/SERP/redi...hbase%2Fairfri2.html :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Page: