Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1976 KZ900 for sale in Ely, Minnesota 01 Jul 2023 07:59 #886686

• jenshhj
  • jenshhj's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
It's the end of an era... I've kept my KZ900 at my in-laws" cabin since moving away from the US, but my father-in-law passed away last year and my mother-in-law is 85, so... 

Anyhow, I'm off to pick up a battery later on today, last time the bike ran was four years ago - I might be selling it as a non-running project (I'll figure that out within the next couple of days) or I might be selling a running project - why "project", because it hasn't been run regularly, because the chain and sprockets should be changed to create more clearance for the back tyre (the rear rim is a wider than standard aluminium rim), well, the tyres are old so should be changed, the front brake will need to be bled, it's got electronic ignition but this might need timing, it's got an X pipe exhaust and there's a small ding in one of the pipes which could be pulled out, there was some corrosion in the starter button so this might need attention, the carbs were done by Wired George (but a long time ago so they might need attention) and there was an oil leak dripping oil into my right boot toe (it's been like that for a long time).

Getting up to Ely, Minnesota is probably not convenient, and we're in a cabin in the woods served by a logging road (I'm working to clear this but access isn't great at the best of times - if I can get the bike running I can ride it to Ely, but I've got a bunch of parts (another set of carbs, some parts for a dual front disc set up, sprockets and chain and more...) and tools which I'd like a buyer to have so if you're buying the bike it'd be great if you could make it out to the cabin).

I'll try to post updates and more pictures as soon as I can.  If you're interested let me know by email at johansenjh AT gmail Dot com.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1976 KZ900 for sale in Ely, Minnesota 01 Jul 2023 09:21 #886692

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 86
So where are you now and how much are you asking. Email doesn't work

Last edit: by Cra-z1.

1976 KZ900 for sale in Ely, Minnesota 01 Jul 2023 13:38 #886702

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
Getting to Ely is no problem for me, but I'm probably not interested

1976 KZ900 for sale in Ely, Minnesota 01 Jul 2023 14:36 #886703

• jenshhj
  • User
It starts, it runs (probably would run better on new fuel), gearbox feels nice, tyres hold air (and they look good but they're old).  Starter button works fine (guess I fixed it last time I had it out and had issues with it).  Front wheel rim is standard and has some pitting in the chrome.  Rear rim is a wider than standard and is an aluminium Akront.  One side cover is replacement the other is original.  Rear brake works fine but front brake needs to have fluid changed.  Rear shocks are heavy duty Progressive units and they seem fine but the front forks are probably a bit to squishy (but there's no evidence of perished seals - maybe the springs need changing or maybe the oil).  The Corbin seat is comfortable but is worn where it meets the shock bolt when you open the seat.  There is some fuel seep from the carbs (my recollection is that this was always a problem).  The Murray X Pipe looks and sounds awesome...  The luggage and sissy bar isn't for everyone but when you're actually going somewhere they're great and your pillion won't think they're being dumped on the highway.  The paint is awful.  The fuel tank is good.  The lights work but the horn doesn't (I suppose I can try to fix it, but don't count on it).

It's got a little over 40k on the odometer (which might be correct - I've owned it since 2003), an Ohio registration in my name and I've got the title with me, so make me an offer if you can pay and pick it up near Ely, Minnesota needs to be by the end of next week.  My cell phone is a UK number and it doesn't work at the cabin, but I can check emails daily (my Gmail email name is johansenjh).

I can send more pictures, maybe a short video and try to answer questions.
Attachments:

1976 KZ900 for sale in Ely, Minnesota 01 Jul 2023 15:37 #886710

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 86
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. comes up as invalid. You still never aid how much you want. So I assume you are in Minnesota and have no way to move the bike or deliver it down to around Duluth

Looks like its case sensitive you have email

Last edit: by Cra-z1.

1976 KZ900 for sale in Ely, Minnesota 01 Jul 2023 15:59 #886712

• jenshhj
  • User
That should be the right email... 

Correct, I'm sort of stuck in the woods - I can deliver to Ely, but I'd like to offer the "lucky" buyer a bunch of parts and a rolling metal tool chest with some tools so it'd be great if the buyer could pick up at the cabin in the woods...

1976 KZ900 for sale in Ely, Minnesota 04 Jul 2023 15:53 #886838

• jenshhj
  • User
Thank you all for your interest.  The bike, parts and tools all sold via FB Marketplace to an Ely local - one day maybe he'll find his way here to the forum - and one day I hope to have another Z... 

1976 KZ900 for sale in Ely, Minnesota 06 Jul 2023 19:24 #886942

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
How did you sell it without a price?

• Page: