• Page:

TOPIC:

Plastic Stapler Repair Tool 04 Mar 2023 07:40 #881089

• blipco
  • blipco's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
I don’t know if this has been shown here but it is very cool. I can see it would work.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plastic Stapler Repair Tool 04 Mar 2023 07:59 #881091

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Theoretically it works but to be permanent you would need to get a hot soldering iron on the ejected plastic and re seal the surface to cover it embedding it within the panel. 
I've always used plumbers glue, the type used to permantly connect drainage pipes. It seems to actually melt the mating surfaces and fuse them together. 
Just make sure they are in the correct position whilst curing because they aren't coming apart again anytime soon. 
I also use the drainage pipe itself to infill any missing areas. You can use a paint stripper heat gun to mould it into any curve you want. It'll curve in two directions when warm and the set rigidly into the shape when it cools. 
Don't know if the panels and pipes are both poly vynil chloride (pvc) but they seem to be compatible with the glue. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco, howardhb

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Plastic Stapler Repair Tool 04 Mar 2023 08:23 #881092

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
The PVC "glue" is actually a solvent that works by softening the pipe and fusing them together. 
That’s a good point about folding over the ejected plastic. I’m sure PVC cement would work well to soften the plastic.
On the construction job we used to lay it on a cut to seal it up.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Plastic Stapler Repair Tool 04 Mar 2023 11:32 #881098

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1773

I don’t know if this has been shown here but it is very cool. I can see it would work.

Check out the section of my build where I reworked the side panels, I have used these hot staples extensively and they work really well

Plastic Stapler Repair Tool 04 Mar 2023 14:03 #881106

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
I missed that in your build thread. I will check it out.
The staples seem to work with all types of plastics whereas you generally have to buy certain types of epoxy to go with certain types of plastic. And some won’t work at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Plastic Stapler Repair Tool 04 Mar 2023 15:01 #881111

• Wookie58
See Howard's thread for an explanation of different adhesives for different plastics and below for staple work
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/617040...bute?start=96#880491

Attachments:

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Plastic Stapler Repair Tool 26 Mar 2023 14:44 #882028

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Kawasaki side covers are made from ABS plastic.
Check out the article I wrote about repairing ABS body panels here. The article uses a Kaw fairing as an example but the same method works on side covers leaving them stronger than stock.
www.kzrider.com/articles/technical-tips/...ir-first-timeforever
Just a suggestion.
Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by KZQ.

Plastic Stapler Repair Tool 27 Mar 2023 02:12 #882051

• Wookie58

Kawasaki side covers are made from ABS plastic.
Check out the article I wrote about repairing ABS body panels here. The article uses a Kaw fairing as an example but the same method works on side covers leaving them stronger than stock.
www.kzrider.com/articles/technical-tips/...ir-first-timeforever
Just a suggestion.
Bill
This is an interesting article Bill, however given that the kits are only around $25 on Amazon I would definitely recommend you trying the "hot staple" method. One of the biggest advantages (especially with awkward shapes) is you can hold the pieces together (no need for clamping) while you apply a staple, blow on it for a couple of seconds and it's held firmly. You can then adjust the pieces if necc and continue to add more staples along the joint (when I did this I left a very small gap so that once stapled I could run adhesive into the joint. If it is ABS you can also dissolve scraps of ABS in acetone to make a paste which you can apply over the repair with a paint brush. As the acetone etches into the piece then evaporates off it leaves a layer of ABS over the joint which can be sanded if required.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, calum, howardhb

Last edit: by Wookie58.
  • Page: