Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Compressor advice needed. 24 Jan 2022 05:18 #860985

• Shankkole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141
I run  an Ingersol Rand 5 hp/50 gallon with, another 40 gallon tank attached. adding the extra volume makes a world of difference. I run a small 3x3 (sand)blasting cabinet, and vapor hone on this setup with no issues.I have another 200 ft of 3/4 lines in the shop but that volume does not add up to much.    

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Compressor advice needed. 06 Feb 2022 15:22 #861907

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
You really have to do your homework on selecting the proper air compressor for your anticipated operation.  I have a Vapor Hone Technologies cabinet with a 6 HP two-cylinder two stage compressor with an 80-gallon tank.  The compressor is about 8 years old now and is rated for 15.6 SCFM at 100 PSI with a max. PSI of 175.  15.6 SCFM just makes minimum requirements for my cabinet.  When I first got the cabinet, I was going through air pressure like a madman.  The compressor was running every 3 to 4 mins trying to keep up with what I was doing.  Eventually I read about a wet and dry blasting supplier who was supposed to be very knowledgeable about this stuff and I gave him a call.  He was difficult to get in touch with but turned out to be well versed in this area.  He suggested I make some changes and get a different blast gun and hose and it has made a big difference in run time with no noticeable loss in performance.  My advice would be to do your research and talk with people in the blasting business and then make your purchase.  Remember too that line size from the compressor to the blast cabinet is critical to good operation.  Don't just hook up any old air hose and expect good results.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Compressor advice needed. 09 Feb 2022 06:32 #862038

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583

...  He suggested I make some changes and get a different blast gun and hose and it has made a big difference in run time with no noticeable loss in performance.  ...

Rick H.
Could you elaborate please, on the gun change?  Did you replace the gun with one having a smaller orifice, or only replace the orifice in the original gun?
 We bought a Campbell - Hausfeldt 80 gal. compressor rated  16CFM @90 PSI, just making the cut for our VHT cabinet.  It's single stage, but the pump is four cylinder, so it moves more volume per rev than most two cylinder units we looked at.  Still, it runs a lot.  We generally have the regulator set to 75 PSI at the cabinet.  3/4" I.D. supply hose.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Compressor advice needed. 11 Feb 2022 06:45 #862124

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254

...  He suggested I make some changes and get a different blast gun and hose and it has made a big difference in run time with no noticeable loss in performance.  ...

Rick H.
Could you elaborate please, on the gun change?  Did you replace the gun with one having a smaller orifice, or only replace the orifice in the original gun?
 We bought a Campbell - Hausfeldt 80 gal. compressor rated  16CFM @90 PSI, just making the cut for our VHT cabinet.  It's single stage, but the pump is four cylinder, so it moves more volume per rev than most two cylinder units we looked at.  Still, it runs a lot.  We generally have the regulator set to 75 PSI at the cabinet.  3/4" I.D. supply hose.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

I will have to do some digging on your questions slimjim& Z1BEBE.  As I recall the blast gun is a much better built one than was supplied with the cabinet.  The one I bought has ceramic nozzles instead of the cheap nylon looking one in the stock gun.  I was unable to buy any ceramic nozzles for the OEM gun.  I bought a couple of different sized nozzles to try when needed on different projects.  I also purchased a different blast gun hose of smaller diameter which gave me more pressure, but less volume.  This is turn allowed me to back off on the pressure at the regulator which lowered my air usage.  I also had to change the hose connectors (bibs) which I bought from the same supplier.  I have my compressor sitting right next to the blast cabinet and I have a "splitter" off the compressor with a dedicated line to the cabinet.  All of this resulted in my compressor run time doubling as best as I can figure which made me happy with no loss in performance.  The new gun also seems to work much better at reaching deeper recesses in parts than the old gun but I have no way to prove this except in my feeble mind.  The name of the place I purchased this stuff from is Tacoma Blasting Products or something close to that.  There are some videos on-line about his products.  As I recall he deals with dry and wet products for blasting.  Super nice guy to talk to.  Oh, and I usually run my regulated air pressure to the cabinet at 25 to 40 PSI which is much lower than required for the original gun and hose.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Last edit: by Rick H..

Compressor advice needed. 20 Dec 2022 07:14 #878023

• Ian_B
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Just a thought; as you won't be using the cabinet 24/7, would renting a larger capacity air compressor be an option? Electric, petrol & diesel ones are available from most equipment hire places, and they have some monsters. Or a smaller electric one, and put it in parallel with the one you have - no reason the air all needs to come from one machine, as long as pressures are similar.

Far better having too much air than too little - endless frustration.

Ian

Compressor advice needed. 04 Aug 2023 04:50 #887931

• Gdailey2112
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
  • Thank you received: 34

LOL This is what happened last year first time I fired it up, the head broke off of allen bolt that's recessed into the piston top. Made a whole lotta racket! he he
1982 KZ1100D1
Attachments:

• Page: