• Page:

TOPIC:

HF soda blaster 08 Dec 2013 10:44 #615038

• Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24
www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-tool...aster-gun-93221.html

Does anyone have experience with this gun? I have a lot of smaller parts, like the battery box, that I would like to strip down and repaint, and it seems that a medium soda would be appropriate for this. My compressor is only around 10 gallons, so I would be limited to smaller parts anyway, and this gun seems a lot better than most on air capacity requirements.

Additionally, I need to knock down the chrome surface on pieces like the chain guard and fenders (and probably use a self-etching primer) so I can paint them as well. I'm not sure is soda would work for that, but the reviews indicate that this gun will also work with 220-grit sand, which might do the trick?

I've never had any experience with sand-blasting before, but I keep thinking about it because there's always some oddball part that I'd love to strip down and clean up, and it seems like this would make the job so much easier. And maybe some day I'll be able to afford a decent compressor...
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Shdwdrgn. Reason: Fixed link

HF soda blaster 08 Dec 2013 21:00 #615077

• Haybus
  • User
  • Big Al
  • Thank you received: 42
I've used the DIY air gun siphon with plain old grocery store soda and it works quite well. I doubt you could go wrong with that HF gun for $20, though I don't have one. My impression of soda blasting would lead me to believe it won't work that well for scuffing up chrome for painting. Better to get a blasting cabinet and a decent compressor.

Alan
1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

HF soda blaster 08 Dec 2013 21:14 #615079

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Yeah I didn't figure the soda would do anything to the chrome, but hoping some fine grit sand might work.

I ran across an interesting idea where one guy said he used a storage tote, cut arm holes in the sides, and laid a piece of scrap glass over the top... quick&easy blasting cabinet. I can work with a budget like that! :lol:
1981 KZ1000-JK1

HF soda blaster 09 Dec 2013 06:53 #615095

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Muratic acid as used in swimming pools can be used to prep chrome for painting, and without any media blasting being required.

For example, muratic acid may be brushed onto chrome exhaust headers, and allowed to soak for a short while before being rinsed off.

After natural air drying, VHT rattle can spray paint will then adhere very well to the header pipes.

Muratic acid is relatively inexpensive, and readily available.

But be careful, as it is very caustic.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

HF soda blaster 09 Dec 2013 07:32 #615098

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Great tip -- Thanks! Seems like I've seen muratic acid at the farm supply store, but if not, there are plenty of pool and spa stores around. If the temperature ever gets back above 0F I'll have to give it a try...
1981 KZ1000-JK1

HF soda blaster 09 Dec 2013 08:19 #615100

• Cynjut
  • User
  • Thank you received: 26
I bought one last year. It works OK, but with soda as a medium, you'll have to keep shaking it to keep the soda moving. It works better with their other media. HF has a 'flat pack' gun that works better, but it's a little pricier.
1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

HF soda blaster 17 Jan 2014 17:19 #619022

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Hello forum,

If you blast with plastic, can you remove paint, carbon, rust and other crap as with soda?

Also with the plastic, is there dust or debris like Soda?

I'm trying to reduce if not eliminate the mess, and keep a clean environment..

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

Sorry for starting a new thread, really don't know what happened. This post didnt showup on the front page , so I started a new thread.. Then I noticed the first post?????

Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

HF soda blaster 17 Jan 2014 18:01 #619032

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207

4TheKZ1000 wrote: Hello forum,

If you blast with plastic, can you remove paint, carbon, rust and other crap as with soda?

Also with the plastic, is there dust or debris like Soda?

I'm trying to reduce if not eliminate the mess, and keep a clean environment..

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

Sorry for starting a new thread, really don't know what happened. This post didnt showup on the front page , so I started a new thread.. Then I noticed the first post?????

40 lashes for you !! I answered your other post in your thread.

KD9JUR

• Page: