Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Looking at ultrasonic cleaners. What size/watts should I get? 15 Apr 2013 19:52 #582537

• nitsua93
  • nitsua93's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I brake things.
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm really interested in an ultrasonic cleaner for parts. Mostly I'd do carbs but I'd love to do other smallish parts too. I've seen harbor freight's which is dirt cheap at 2.5 Liters. Is that big enough for bike carbs? I'd like one big enough to do car carbs. What size do you think I'd need?
I can't leave this blank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking at ultrasonic cleaners. What size/watts should I get? 16 Jun 2013 16:07 #592563

• TOOLS1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have the Harbor Freight sonic cleaner, and LOVE it!!!! I use "Awesome" cleaner (from the dollar store) and water mixed 50/50 in. I have cleaned everything from carbs to chains in it. I do need to separate the carbs from the mount to fit them into the cleaner, but it keeps me from getting lazy, and not replacing the fuel line O-rings (I mostly work on Honda CB 750's which are a pain to separate on the 77 later carbs.) Some times I do need to rotate the parts to clean every inch, but it works! I wish I had bought one years ago!
TOOLS
Never confuse education, for intelligence.
Don't go blaming the beer! "Hank Hill"

Looking at ultrasonic cleaners. What size/watts should I get? 17 Jun 2013 18:21 #592747

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
(double post)
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Last edit: by guitargeek.

Looking at ultrasonic cleaners. What size/watts should I get? 17 Jun 2013 18:28 #592748

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
I got the same Harbor Freight cleaner, but I most often use Simple Green and water at 1:1 ratio, or water with a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap, or water and PineSol. It's pretty effective, but just another step in the cleaning process...

Really nasty parts get scrubbed with gasoline, then soda blasted, then take a trip through the vibratory tumbler, then into the ultrasonic tank. The last two steps are sometimes reversed, sometimes one or the other is omitted, depending on the workpiece.

Attachment DSC00706.JPG not found

Attachment 005.JPG not found

Attachment 001_2013-06-17.JPG not found

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"
Attachments:

Looking at ultrasonic cleaners. What size/watts should I get? 17 Jun 2013 20:39 #592780

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198

Looking at ultrasonic cleaners. What size/watts should I get? 17 Jun 2013 21:10 #592781

• crh
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 20

TOOLS1 wrote: I have the Harbor Freight sonic cleaner, and LOVE it!!!! I use "Awesome" cleaner (from the dollar store) and water mixed 50/50 in. I have cleaned everything from carbs to chains in it. I do need to separate the carbs from the mount to fit them into the cleaner, but it keeps me from getting lazy, and not replacing the fuel line O-rings (I mostly work on Honda CB 750's which are a pain to separate on the 77 later carbs.) Some times I do need to rotate the parts to clean every inch, but it works! I wish I had bought one years ago!
TOOLS

Great Avatar :)

Looking at ultrasonic cleaners. What size/watts should I get? 17 Jun 2013 21:12 #592784

• crh
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 20

Last edit: by crh.

Looking at ultrasonic cleaners. What size/watts should I get? 25 Jun 2013 16:30 #593899

• TOOLS1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Update. My Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner died the other night. RIP. It was only 3 months old, but had been well used. However I had taken out the extended warranty, so they replaced it free of charge. Cleaning carbs as I type.;-)
TOOLS
Never confuse education, for intelligence.
Don't go blaming the beer! "Hank Hill"

• Page: