TOPIC:

Another oil leak diagnostic method 18 Sep 2010 21:37 #399798

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Patton suggested I post this here as well, so:

I'll add another oil leak diagnosis procedure, you might already know this, but others might find it useful.

This will work on most engines with a crankcase and a oil leak. The idea is to pressurize the crankcase with low air pressure, using compressed air, Regulated to 5psi, attach to the crankcase breather fitting, blocking all other external sources. On you bike there wouldn't be any but the breather where you now are pressurizing, but on other engines there would be a dipstick, PCV valve, etc. So with the crankcase now feed with air pressure regulated down to 5 psi, now you can see if it is a low leak, the oil coming out, or if a higher than oil level leak a spray bottle with soapy water will make bubbles at the leak just like a tire with a leak.
Remember to keep the Air pressure down to 5psi.

So some may have other ways as well. This method was shown to me by an Old Timer in the Industry many years ago, now thats become me, Old Timer.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another oil leak diagnostic method 19 Sep 2010 06:07 #399817

• ace
  • User
  • 78kz1000
  • Thank you received: 1
thanx for the tip...makes alot of sense
78kz1000

Another oil leak diagnostic method 03 Dec 2010 06:06 #415134

• captchas
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
best and easiest way is with the black light dye! that small kit from the auto parts stores or harbor frieght work great, stick in the small tube of dye,go for a ride then shine the black light around the motor. bingo leak found.

Another oil leak diagnostic method 03 Dec 2010 06:09 #415136

• Kapahulu
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I used to use air pressure to test my RD400 crankcases. FYI to readers - one reason to limit the air pressure is so that you don't blow a crank seal. Maybe there are other reasons besides that.
1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

Another oil leak diagnostic method 03 Dec 2010 06:14 #415139

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
spray footpowder works well... just clean off any oil on the outside of the engine, spray the white powder over the area suspected and take the bike for a ride...

that stuff wipes off easy (or washes off).
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Last edit: by Jeff.Saunders.

Another oil leak diagnostic method 03 Dec 2010 07:05 #415148

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

spray footpowder works well... just clean off any oil on the outside of the engine, spray the white powder over the area suspected and take the bike for a ride...that stuff wipes off easy (or washes off).

Can also just sit there looking around with a flashlight while the engine's running in neutral to see area where the powder starts turning dark.

Back in the olden days before florescent dye tracers, plain blue motor oil dye was added to the crankcase and watched for while engine was running.
Uncertain whether the plain dye is ever used anymore, or even available nowadays.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Another oil leak diagnostic method 20 Dec 2010 03:21 #417854

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

spray footpowder works well... just clean off any oil on the outside of the engine, spray the white powder over the area suspected and take the bike for a ride...

that stuff wipes off easy (or washes off).

Been using spray foot powder for years to find leaks. One problem with riding the bike is the wind blows the oil around.

First clean off any oil residue. Spray the suspected area. Block off the crankcase breather tube. Run the bike at 1500 RPM for a minute or two to pressurize the cases. Look for where the sprayed area turns brown. That's your leak point. :)

• Page: