Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Bike 21 Nov 2005 10:10 #9363

• PlanetCorbin
  • PlanetCorbin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have the opportunity to buy a 81 Kawasaki delivered to my door from over 40 miles away for $350.00. The bike is in poor shape. The tweaker that has it, has taken it upon himself to take off all the EGR equipment, and air filters to "help it breath better" I saw it last night and it needs a new front tire, new headlight glass, and other than that the only thing it's missing is a seat and a right side cover. I did hear the bike run for several minutes, but this tweaker kept taking stuff off of the bike, and saying, "Man, why doesn't this thing run right. I'll bet it's this!" And then procede to take that part off. Since I want this bike for misc. parts, and to possibly rebuild the engine that's in it for a future swap for the engine that's in my 82 1000 ltd, I was wondering if any of you had any advice.

Also, will the front suspension swap directly from the '81, to the '82?

Any help is appreciated guys.

Thanks,
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Bike 21 Nov 2005 10:27 #9367

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
If a "tweaher" is the same as what I call a "Geaker" then his habits will allow you to offer less. Does the bike have a title? A frame with a title is worth a little money. If no title then I would say no more that $250. Depends on mileage, engine condition, parts you want from it and so on. I would say give him a low ball offer of like $100 and see what happens. You can always find someone with a truck to help you pick it up. Hell you can even rent a truck from Lowes for like $30 for a day. Just an idea.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

New Bike 21 Nov 2005 10:39 #9370

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
David, you actually don't say what model '81 you are considering.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

New Bike 21 Nov 2005 10:46 #9372

• PlanetCorbin
  • User
The bike in question is an 81 ltd.

Originally the guy wanted to sell the bike for $600.00 I offered him 200, and we settled on 300, then 350 delivered to my house by him in his pickup. The bike doesn't have a title, but the guy did have registration for the bike that expired back in 86. Yes, 1986. I know what you're thinking, because it's what I thought. The bike was probably stolen, and the registration was found in the compartment under the seat. To be honest I don't know. The "tweaker" said he got the bike in a trade just under two months ago, and since it's taking up space in his storage shed he wants it gone.

Are the big parts on this bike compatiable with those on mine? Like the engine, tranny, front suspension? Could I even use the frame without a title? If I bought this bike, would anyone be interested in any of the parts?

David

New Bike 21 Nov 2005 11:08 #9379

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
well...

i would not consider there is even a hint that it's been stolen. call the cops with the VIN before you buy.

around here, the bikes are out there if you're not in a hurry and willing to wait for one at the right price.

for me, the right price for a non-runner is seldom more than $150 unless cosmetics are great and it has a clean transferrable title. GPz turbo, 83/84 GPz 1100, KZ900, Z1, KZ1000A1, I'll pay more for...

Call cops and verify!
You'd expect someone to do that before buying your stolen bike.

-Duck

New Bike 21 Nov 2005 16:49 #9450

• PlanetCorbin
  • User
Update!

I called the cops, and they verified that the bike in question was not stolen. Even better the guy had the pink slip. I paid 350 for a 81 KZ 1000 LTD delivered to my door.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? I have a couple, but since I'm pretty new to this, I wouldn't mind hearing some of yours.

At this point I realize this post is in the wrong forum. It wont happen again.

David

• Page: