• Page:

TOPIC:

Engine Swap Question 16 Nov 2005 09:40 #8473

• PlanetCorbin
  • PlanetCorbin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Two questions:

First, it seems that some of you have "cross reference software" to see what parts are interchangeable with different makes/models/years. Where can I get my hands on this?

Second, since I don't have this software at this time, I was wondering if someone could tell me what engine I could directly swap for an '82 1000 LTD. Since it's my daily driver I can't afford to pull it out and wait for it to be fixed the way I would like. If I could get my hands on a second engine I could take my time with it, make sure it was done right, and when it was all done with I could use the original for spare parts, or even rebuild it for even more experience. Just don't tell the wife that...

Thanks for your time guys and gals,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine Swap Question 16 Nov 2005 10:23 #8478

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 306
David:

I'm not sure which exact models of Z's will swap engines, although Kawasaki tends to produce 'families' of bikes, e.g. early model (1977-1980) kz1000's all tend to be direct drop-ins (standards vs ltd's). I suspect any 1981-82 KZ1000 motor will fit in your frame. As for the parts 'cross-reference' material, it is available as a 17 sheet microfiche set on eBay occasionally. It is also reportedly available as a cd, also available on eBay. I have the microfiche set, but many on this forum apparently have the cd. There are periodic reports of a 'cross-brand' swap reference (Kawasaki vs Honda, etc) but I have been unable to verify its existence.
Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Engine Swap Question 16 Nov 2005 11:22 #8490

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The parts software comes from www.zedder.com. I don't think it will do a lot of good directly as the engine isn't sold as a complete assembly. Thus, you won't be able to plug a part number in for an engine and return all the years that are identical. I do think that after 1980, Kaw used the "J" style engine in all KZ1000s including cop bikes. Could be wrong here but if so, you can use any of these engines which were made as late as 2004 or 2005. The J model style engine has different motor mounts than does the earlier style engine (73-80).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Engine Swap Question 16 Nov 2005 13:30 #8518

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 208
81 and 82 LTD motor is a direct swap (figures don't it).
81 and 82 CSR motor will bolt in, but I think the LTD has an electronic tach, if so then you would need to block off the tach drive.

J model will bolt in and give you 10 more hp.

And like WG said, any cop bike motor from 81 0r 82 (I forget which) on up should bolt in.

I saw that someone listed J motors for sale in the classifieds.
KD9JUR

Engine Swap Question 16 Nov 2005 18:45 #8564

• ~DW~
  • User
Far as I know, cop-bikes (all the models ending in "P") 82 and up are "J" motors.

Engine Swap Question 16 Nov 2005 21:14 #8574

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
I don't know about a 1000, but on a 650 all the mounts are on the engine block. Might help to do a cross reference on just the block part number.
Ride safe,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Engine Swap Question 16 Nov 2005 21:31 #8575

• PlanetCorbin
  • User
Wow! You guys are good. I thought that there would maybe only be one or two replies, you all are a dedicated bunch. Thanks for the info. I'm going to a pick-n-pull on Sunday and this will help greatly. Hopefully I'll be able to find what I need. Although in my limited searching so far, it seems that Kawasaki bikes aren't as popular as other bikes, i.e. Honda. Maybe it's not that they aren't as popular but it's just that there weren't as many made. I don't know. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep my eye out for the CD ROM you mentioned.

David

Engine Swap Question 17 Nov 2005 03:22 #8588

• bob_z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
PlanetCorbin wrote: Although in my limited searching so far, it seems that Kawasaki bikes aren't as popular as other bikes, i.e. Honda. David[/quote]

It's just that people junk their Hondas but not their Kawasakis :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Probably can use 83-85 GPz1100 engines too, but they are scarce because the head is so sought after by dragracers.

Engine Swap Question 17 Nov 2005 09:45 #8637

• PlanetCorbin
  • User
Why is the head so valuable?

Engine Swap Question 17 Nov 2005 10:19 #8639

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 306
I believe it is a relatively easy adaptation to retrofit to an earlier model z...the value lies in the valves, which are comparatively larger.
Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Engine Swap Question 17 Nov 2005 13:11 #8677

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 208
A "Large" difference between the 1000 cylinder heads and the 83-85 1100, combustion chamber, ports, and the valves. Put a 83-85 GPz1100 head on a stock 1000 motor and drop two points in compression. APE has the info on their site.
KD9JUR

• Page: