Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

? about running with no muff. 29 Jul 2006 15:29 #65712

• Torch
  • Torch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
As most of you know, im doing my toss up drag bike bobber project. While i was taking my slip on off to get the header off the bike, i noticed it looked pretty nasty with just the kerker exiting from under the bike. I only have about 12" of perforation inside the slipon, and you can pretty much see straight though it, looks like the inside of a glass pack.

Would there be any jet changes needed without the muff seeing how its pretty much non-restrictive as is? Also, seeing how the pipe would still be fairly long, there isn't any danger in warping valves is there? And does a 903cc even sound decent with straight exhaust, really don't care if its extremely loud...but if im going to hear it, i atleast want a decent note. My bike is tore down so i can't see for myself. I was thinking about just putting a turn out on the end and wraping the whole thing in header wrap.

If it would be just god aweful sounding, is there any kind of insert that i could put into the pipe to tone it down a little. Kind of like some header cones i used in my drag car...but i can't find any small enough. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

? about running with no muff. 29 Jul 2006 17:06 #65730

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I would say yes a jet change will be required. Bikes seem to be way more susceptible to change than cars. Drag race a car just pull up uncouple mufflers and away you go. Don't think you can do that with a bike. You might maybe get away with it for short drags. Bike may be excessively lean or might be just lean enough to make power this side of overheating.

I personnaly don't like unmuffled street bikes. It also gives non-motorcyclist a bad impression. Says "antisocial thug" more than "rebel".

? about running with no muff. 29 Jul 2006 18:27 #65749

• vikfelix
  • User
I had a Honda CB200 that I put turned out pipes with a glass pack in it that I got from JC Whitney. Some where around 30 bucks for the whole thing. Had no problems with it, but it was a smaller bike. Sounded real good if you ask me. Don't know on a big bike might need to change jets. I can look up the part #'s of the muff if you like.

jk

? about running with no muff. 29 Jul 2006 18:33 #65751

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
i can say from personal kerker experience they sound :evil: nasty :evil: without the tail but i only did it to piss off the neighbors
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

? about running with no muff. 29 Jul 2006 18:47 #65758

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I'm running an open header on my bike for the rest of this year at the drags. I had to go up about 5 sizes on the mains.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

? about running with no muff. 29 Jul 2006 21:14 #65802

• Torch
  • Torch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll probably have to get with WG so i can make sure my carbs get jetted for the open pipe. I just like the look too much to say no...probably would be good to piss off the neighbors. Can't say i'll mind though....there the high and mighty mercedes type. Can't wait to roll out the old flat black saki when she's finished and really upset them.

But anyway...i AM anti-social, so it works out both ways. If i only did to my bike what everyone in society agreed upon...well then it wouldn't be much of a custom.

• Page: