Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'79 KZ400 won't pop off... 27 Jul 2006 21:03 #65360

• Sendhendrix
  • Sendhendrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I FINALLY got this thing back together.
It all started out in March when I decided to replace the weather-cracked intake boots and snapped off a screw. So what the heck, pull the whole top end of the motor so I can drill out the old screw and retap it at the shop, grind the valves and seats, rehone the cylinders, and replace the pistons and rings.
In the meantime I gutted the whole bike and repainted the frame and all the body pieces, and did everything else I could afford and think of.
It looks like crap now actually but the point is it kinda ran before I took it apart and now the bugger won't pop off.
I am quite certain that I got the valve timing correct.
I am quite certain that it's getting fuel.
Compression is 110 PSI, cranking.
I did finally get some spark after twiddling the points.
I have not tested coil resistance. The spark looks pretty anemic. Right now I have the battery on the charger.
In the morning I will give it a fresh look, but in the meantime any other brainstorming I can get would be fantastic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'79 KZ400 won't pop off... 28 Jul 2006 12:43 #65452

• Sendhendrix
  • Sendhendrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow, no reply? Could it be cause I'm THAT guy, "Somebody help me, it won't start," guy? Hah! That's okay I got it running. Secondary coil was wide open. I guess I didn't think you could get ANY spark with an open secondary...anyway I put an aftermarket universal coil on it, and whiz pop bam it fired up. Man, is it good to hear this baby run after six months in pieces!

As soon as I get the paint how I like it I'll post before and after pics. It's another resurrected KZ!

'79 KZ400 won't pop off... 28 Jul 2006 13:31 #65458

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Sendhendrix wrote:

Wow, no reply?

Congratulations on getting it going!

...as for not replying, I guess I should stop using the "view latest posts", since it only gives me 4 hours ago. Since you posted around midnight, I would never have seen your post. I bet others do this, too. I need to figure out how to do a "posts since last visit" or something...

EDIT: found it...

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/07/28 16:32
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Page: