Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

oil tap? 18 Jul 2006 09:21 #62892

• JAILBAIT
  • JAILBAIT's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
kz 1000 main oil gallery plug on right side of motor, pressure or non pressure, i need to feed my front mount turbo and need to know if i can tap off of that plug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil tap? 18 Jul 2006 09:29 #62895

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Thats where you can mount an oil pressure gage so it is pressured but it is a low pressure system. I don't know how much pressure you need. I could be wrong but I believe it's like 7-15 lbs. Don't quote me.

oil tap? 18 Jul 2006 10:04 #62900

• wireman
  • Visitor
come off back side of motor where sending unit is at.these bikes only run a couple poundsof oil pressure,shim your oil pump.

oil tap? 18 Jul 2006 12:25 #62934

• JAILBAIT
  • User
I have never heard of shimming an oil pump, an instruction would be helpful

oil tap? 18 Jul 2006 12:54 #62942

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The oil pump is driven directly off the crankshaft via gears. I can't see shimming it as that would change the gear's relationship. I can't imagine why you would. If you want to force-oil a turbo, I am not sure how you would do it, but KZs have low pressure oiling and that means under 5 PSI... drop Jeff Saunders a note as he is a turbo owner or Lorcan... both are frequent posters here on the site. They can both give you an answer. The oil freeze plug on the side of the block you mentioned does have oil pressure... just not all that much. I have no idea if the pressure is appropriate for your application.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

oil tap? 18 Jul 2006 13:00 #62944

• wireman
  • Visitor
JAILBAIT wrote:

I have never heard of shimming an oil pump, an instruction would be helpful

check your pm

oil tap? 18 Jul 2006 21:59 #63058

• wireman
  • Visitor
my machinist is out of town till thursday-friday,when he gets back ill get a picture of a blueprinted pump and see if i can post it since everybody keeps pming me about it!:whistle: :P

oil tap? 19 Jul 2006 01:25 #63097

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
From what I understand, the issue with front mount turbos isnt getting the oil to the turbo, but getting it back from the turbo. The front mounted turbo is often lower than the oil level in the sump and needs a seperate return pump to return the oil to the engine. Often times people use a seperate oiling system (oil tank , pump)for front mount turbos.
Fish

oil tap? 19 Jul 2006 07:24 #63126

• JAILBAIT
  • User
No issue with getting the oil back, I plan running a scavanging pump for the return oil and spalshing the return oil on to the tranny for a little more cooling effect.

oil tap? 20 Jul 2006 03:48 #63301

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Tapping the oil galley for the oil supply to the turbo would be fine then. You would need to put a small restrictor in the line to keep all the oil from entering your turbo (and none going to the head). I used a brass 90 degree fitting and tapped it to fit a carb main jet for use as a restrictor (I dont remember the size I used) for my turbo.
My turbo is mounted where the carbs used to be and the oil flows back from the turbo with gravity. I made a junction that mounts to the front of the batterybox. This is where the return lines for the oil cooler intersect and where the turbo gets its oil supply at that junction. At about 2000 rpm I have about 4 PSI to the engine (at the oil galley)and the return line from the turbo drips back into the engine oil fill cap.
Fish

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2006/07/20 06:49
Attachments:

oil tap? 21 Jul 2006 16:27 #63751

• wireman
  • Visitor
wireman wrote:

my machinist is out of town till thursday-friday,when he gets back ill get a picture of a blueprinted pump and see if i can post it since everybody keeps pming me about it!:whistle: :P

well couldnt get picture,dead battery!:S anyway what you do is measure clearance between face of gears and housing and mill gasket surface between 2 housing halves to tighten the clearances which inturn boosts pressure you can also restrict the size of outlet from pump slightly to boost pressure.ill try and get picture next time!B)

oil tap? 26 Jul 2006 07:00 #64798

• JAILBAIT
  • User
still no picture?

• Page: