Oil in #4

More
15 Jul 2024 13:15 #902162 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Oil in #4

I do think a hone/ring sounds like a fairly inexpensive plan.

Since I don't have many miles on the rebuild, should I spring for a new head gasket or can I just reuse?

I also wonder what might have happened in it's previous life to have such a low mile bike in this condition?
Unfortunately you can't reuse the headgasket , once compressed it won't reseal 
The following user(s) said Thank You: OkieZ1000, Rolf1976_KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2024 14:18 #902169 by OkieZ1000
Replied by OkieZ1000 on topic Oil in #4
Well dang, I guess I'll add that to the list.

If the bore is within service intervals, Will a 2.75in ball hone work fine?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rolf1976_KZ900

More
16 Jul 2024 02:49 #902183 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Oil in #4
I use a "FlexHone" BC23424. Have had it for years. It's a 240grit ball hone. Although normally i have the liners bored-out on just about every engine i do, all 40yrs+ old ya know. So they will always have taper or imperfections where rings have been sitting in one spot for who knows how many years creating a rust potholed ring around liner. Of course as a byproduct of the machinist who performs the boring also does the final sizing hone for me. F64, you mentioned plateau honing. Don't think that would work in this instance. It sounds fancy and all but that's done while there's still some liner material to work with, you don't have that in this case. Also..might consider taking the whole block to a qualified machinist!! They can do the other required measuring i'm sure you don't have the equipment for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OkieZ1000, Rolf1976_KZ900

More
16 Jul 2024 13:15 #902204 by Rolf1976_KZ900
Replied by Rolf1976_KZ900 on topic Oil in #4

Well dang, I guess I'll add that to the list.

If the bore is within service intervals, Will a 2.75in ball hone work fine?

The Ball/flex hone should have a tight fit in the bore i think 2.75in  is not able to make pressure on the cylwall it is just under the size of the bore if the bore is 69.5mm ?  You can also use a stonehone ,but the problem with that is if the bore is a little egg-shaped it will not go into the "egg" and if you try to fix that with honing more you take off material making the bore bigger and more distorted (dont ask me how i know=) .You just want to deglace the bore by using a ballhone maybe 15 strokes in and out .It is not honing it is just a quick deglase you want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OkieZ1000