Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Heavy clutch on 1973 Z1 08 Feb 2024 07:10 #894989

• Totaldirtbag
  • Totaldirtbag's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, I hope this is the right choice of forum.
I have an OEM cable and have lubed / cleaned the original clutch release mechanism. I believe the cable is routed correctly but have not seen any diagrams to verify that.
I am looking for a 79/80 clutch release (13231-020) at a reasonable price or perhaps any other mod that will not affect the stock appearance of the bike. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heavy clutch on 1973 Z1 08 Feb 2024 07:50 #894993

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Maybe this "might" help? Those old fiber female worm gears can be a bear regardless of how much smack you put on them. Over the years oil gathers environmental debris and it becomes more of a paste then lube. I can suggest a couple options because i have "original to your 73, which is nice and plastic isn't notchy" or what You first asked for. Noteworthy!! If you are deviating from the original handlebar height and creating a "loop" and routing that cable incorrectly, doesn't matter what kind of actuator you choose to use. WILL Always be stiff at the lever.  
Attachments:

Heavy clutch on 1973 Z1 08 Feb 2024 09:16 #894999

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Just for reference if your metal worm gear isn't all eaten-up. If anyone wanders around this reply you will notice a missing cable pull bracket, where did it go it'll never function like that, you might think? But.. i pull/remove those on purpose before plating. There's a better solution to make them tite again, some Yamaha bits. If the hole for the clevis pin isn't completely egged-out, let's put some new crap in there. The cable end holder (swivel bracket thingy and pin) are a direct swap-out from, what i found an early DT250 Yamaha. Info in the pics, have been doing it for years. The superseded design of bracket was an actual update, had a tang spot welded on the side to fold over to retain the cable strand. No more struggling to find the cotter pin hole, similar to the triple Kawasaki design. Hope it Helps??     
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Totaldirtbag

• Page: