Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

reconciling Wiseco's piston ring end gap recommendations with Kawasaki's 15 Oct 2023 12:51 #890525

• Zaddict
  • Zaddict's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
  • Thank you received: 51
Hi All, 
I'm working on my 615cc head (61mm bore, +3mm oversize) and I'm trying to reconcile Wiseco's ring end gap instructions with Kawasaki's FSM. 
The FSM specs are 0.15-0.30mm for both the top and second compression rings, with a service limit of 0.6mm
Wiseco is recommending an end gap of 0.27mm for the top ring and 0.34mm for the 2nd ring.  That means Wiseco's recommendation is already at the edge or over what Kawasaki recommends. I'm not sure which way to go.  Maybe the engine will run hotter with the new pistons so the gap should indeed be larger? 

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

reconciling Wiseco's piston ring end gap recommendations with Kawasaki's 15 Oct 2023 12:58 #890526

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
Follow Wiseco.  They know their pistons, and how they will behave under high stress loads.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zaddict, Wookie58

reconciling Wiseco's piston ring end gap recommendations with Kawasaki's 17 Oct 2023 15:13 #890579

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
follow wiseco specs

1984 750 Turbo

reconciling Wiseco's piston ring end gap recommendations with Kawasaki's 17 Oct 2023 16:17 #890585

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
The difference might, in part, be due to the material the rings and pistons are made of.  Personally, I'd follow the  manufacturer's specifications, be that Kawasaki specs for OEM pistons/rings or Wiseco specs for Wiseco piston/ rings. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zaddict

• Page: