• Page:

TOPIC:

Oil above or below? 18 Sep 2023 14:14 #889513

• OkieZ1000
  • OkieZ1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Greetings, 

I'm still working to get the 82 1000 K2 running like she should.  Thanks to help from the board, I was able to get the carbs sorted out nicely.  What I'm working to fix now is getting the oil out of the cylinders!  I've attached borescope pics of all 4 pistons and all 4 intake runners.  It seems to me, that in spite of ensuring the valve guides didn't have play and replacing the valve seals with new Viton seals, I'm still getting oil in from the top end in all but 1 cylinder (3 and 4 are really pretty bad).  Runs great for 20 miles but by mile 200, it's oil fouling plugs.

Here's the seals I ordered from Z1 - www.z1enterprises.com/valve-stem-seals-u...rsal-7mm-stem-1.html

Any common mistakes I could have made in the install? (I followed the factory service manual and everything went as described).

Any info would be appreciated, as I'm about to remove and tear down the top end again, before looking at the bottom end.

Thanks
Scott
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil above or below? 18 Sep 2023 14:28 #889514

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 663
Compression readings? 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Oil above or below? 18 Sep 2023 14:37 #889515

• OkieZ1000
  • User
Within 5psi across the board
Attachments:

Oil above or below? 18 Sep 2023 15:07 #889517

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
Did you deburr the valvestems at the point where the valvekeepers fits ? i know if there are sharp edges there the new seals can be damaged when putting them on.
How much oil do you have in the case do you have it all the way up to max mark or over ?  I had a bike that i had overfilled and it started smoking.The head was rebuildt with
a full valvejob and new seals.I used a borescopecamera like you did and i could see that all 8 inntakevalves had oil on them i also checked the exhaustvalves and all 8 valves was dry.
It was unlikely that all valveseals had started leaking at the same time on the inntakevalves and non of the exhaustseals was leaking. It turned out that oil was coming up into the airbox
and into the backside of the intakevalves because of running oillevel to high. Im not saying that is what is happening on your bike but you can check it.

Last edit: by Rolf1976_KZ900.

Oil above or below? 19 Sep 2023 00:36 #889526

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1825
Is there oil in the air box? aside from oil level issues mentioned by Rolf, if the crankcase breather is partially blocked witch carbon and oil sludge (normally a result of past poor maintenance) this will cause a build up of crankcase pressure which will push oil into the airbox from where it will be drawn into the cylinders

Oil above or below? 19 Sep 2023 11:45 #889541

• OkieZ1000
  • User
The airbox is dry, nothing in the runners before the valve area either. 

Maybe I did damage the new seals on install somehow..... it's the only thing that makes any sense 

I still have an OEM rubber set that came with the rebuild kit, but I wanted to go with Viton ones for better heat tolerance......

Any other recommendations on seals than what I got from Z1?

Last edit: by OkieZ1000.
  • Page: