Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1982 GPZ 750 16 Aug 2023 08:58 #888325

• supermotobobby
  • supermotobobby's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Can someone point me to someone that can rebuild my 82 GPZ 750 engine? I live near Fresno CA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 GPZ 750 17 Aug 2023 00:25 #888357

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 68
Just a thought. You don't want to tackle it yourself? These Kawasaki air-cooled engine is so tough, you can't, well, almost, screw it up unless you forget a bolt in the case or on top of a piston. It's a great engine to learn how it operates, how to repair and such. For an engine, it's pretty easy as well. With any engine, you need few special tools, but even those, you can get away with some simple stuff.

Of course, you need basic hand tools and little more. If your reason for sending out your engine because you don't have any or not enough, then go get some. You don't need to get a whole set one time. Just buy little/few at a time. If you ever want to keep these bike, you need it anyway. You can start with real cheap ones. after you break a few (tools, that is), then you realize you need to get a better one. Until then, you not going to buy expensive ones anyway.

Just my thought and experience.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Stereordinary

1982 GPZ 750 17 Aug 2023 00:37 #888359

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1932

Just a thought. You don't want to tackle it yourself? These Kawasaki air-cooled engine is so tough, you can't, well, almost, screw it up unless you forget a bolt in the case or on top of a piston. It's a great engine to learn how it operates, how to repair and such. For an engine, it's pretty easy as well. With any engine, you need few special tools, but even those, you can get away with some simple stuff.

Of course, you need basic hand tools and little more. If your reason for sending out your engine because you don't have any or not enough, then go get some. You don't need to get a whole set one time. Just buy little/few at a time. If you ever want to keep these bike, you need it anyway. You can start with real cheap ones. after you break a few (tools, that is), then you realize you need to get a better one. Until then, you not going to buy expensive ones anyway.

Just my thought and experience.
Completely agree, there are too many horror story's on here of guys who have paid good money for poor work to be done. When it comes to tools I have always followed the theory that tools I would use regularly to earn my living then I have mainly "Snap-On", tools I might use once or twice a year - then I buy reasonable quality but not "gold standard" - It's easy to get carried away when buying tools 
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

1982 GPZ 750 17 Aug 2023 07:04 #888370

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2720
What's wrong with the engine now?  How many miles?  

While it won't be cheap, you can always take the head and cylinder/pistons, over to APE and have them give them a once over.  They sell a 810cc kit which could be used, or you can source some different stock overbore pistons and have them bore the cylinders.

1982 GPZ 750 18 Aug 2023 11:41 #888454

• supermotobobby
  • supermotobobby's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you guys for the advice. Ihave plenty of high end tools. I'm just used to building 2 stroke engines and was afraid to break open a 4 stroke. I think the bottom end is fine, I just have low compression on one of the cylinders. 43K on the motor.

1982 GPZ 750 18 Aug 2023 11:57 #888457

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1932
Just take your time and triple check the cam timing before you crank it over

1982 GPZ 750 18 Aug 2023 13:05 #888462

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 387
I might suggest before pulling it all apart pull cam cover and check valve clearance.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

1982 GPZ 750 18 Aug 2023 13:30 #888463

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2720

I might suggest before pulling it all apart pull cam cover and check valve clearance.

Yes, this^^^

Failing to adjust the valves leads to them hanging open, releasing compression, and eventually, burning the valve and seat.  

• Page: