Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 25 Jul 2023 14:49 #887602

• MrGMoto
  • MrGMoto's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a bit of problem, I have brought a Z400-J2 which is a four cylinder, they made the J1,J2,J3 for the European market. My problem is that cylinder number #1 is seized and when it was stored the previous owner had left the spark plug out, resulting in the piston seizing in the cylinder, I have a funny feeling I'm going to need a new set of cylinder and a piston and rings, only problem is i cant find any part numbers. 

Does anyone have a printout or is willing to scan the parts catalouge, or know if what parts I need? 
I can only see 4 + on the inside on one side and 1227 with possibly a 0 or o beforehand but it just looks like a casting mark if that helps.

Many Thanks 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 25 Jul 2023 17:52 #887604

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2089
Here are a few parts, but none of what you need now. 

www.louis.eu/en/bike-database/kawasaki-z...me_asc&viewMode=grid
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGMoto

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 26 Jul 2023 01:01 #887608

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1892
What condition is the cylinder in ? if you can get away with honing then IMD do a ring set for it - oversized pistons seem tricky to find !

Attachments:

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 26 Jul 2023 07:18 #887612

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
There's a microfiche available on EB out of Germany.   Item #354035198533 - click!   Some libraries may still have readers available.
EB search = Z400J microfiche.

Several Z400J parts catalogs are listed on EB from France or Italy.

Several used cylinder blocks are on EB out of Germany and there's a set of 3 NOS pistons from Italy (kind of expensive).

Cmsnl.com (UK) has diagrams for some Euro models, but I didn't see the Z400J. The later ZR400 diagrams are available, but I don't know if they'd do you any good. Cmsnl has a cross-reference, so I checked the ZR400 cylinder base gasket & piston, but the 400J wasn't listed. You have to sign in to see all of the models that use the same part.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 26 Jul 2023 08:24 #887616

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 384
Not sure this will help you at all.  I was able to find a parts list of sorts. It does not include any actual part numbers rather just the diagrams for the parts with reference numbers but no part numbers. Any way here you go.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
Attachments:

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 26 Jul 2023 09:32 #887619

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 384
OK one of the sites selling a part catalogue happened to show a page which shows part numbers for standard, and both next over bore sizes . It also shows part numbers for the 3 different ring sets. 

13001-1029 piston standard
13029-1011 piston .020 oversize
13027-1012 piston .040 oversize

Here is the ebay site  ebay  de  itm/394763403810
Here is a copy of the page in question.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
Attachments:

Last edit: by gd4now.

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 27 Jul 2023 07:28 #887646

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
There's a NOS standard piston 13001-1029 listed on EB from the UK. ~$78.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 27 Jul 2023 16:53 #887661

• MrGMoto
  • User
Thank you for everyone'ss replies. I took another stab at the ye old cylinders today and managed to get the stuck piston out. It definitely needed some persuading for sure! Heat, penetrating spray, vingar and lotttssss more heat along with an almighty wack with a hammer and a big socket extension and she eventually broke free.

After taking my honing stones to the conflicting cylinder and touching the others up, i have now come to the realisation that that cylindar is as much use as a chocolate fireguard! 
After lots of head scratching and grunting, I have have 4 options. 

Option 1 - Find one NOS standard piston (provided the others clean up okay and I can get the rings out) then install three old pistons and one new piston with a set of new rings for all. Then get another 2nd hand cylinder as the current one is junk as S.T.D size won't fit , then hope the newer cylinders clean up okay (storage marks/ corrosion on pictures) and accept the new NOS standard and older pistons and rings but I can only currently find 2 new standard pistons.  
Option 2 - Get the current cylinder rebored to 0.040 as 0.020 i don't think will be enough as the corrosion is still bad after a heavy hone. Then get 0.040 O/S pistons. which i can find 4 off and a set of 0.040 O/S rings.   
Option 3 - Get the other 2nd had cylinder and rebore that one to 0.040 and slap the new 0.040 O/S pistons and rings in.
Option 4 - Find a 550 engine and relative bits and install that (This would mean it's no longer a true 400J )

I would be glad to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions. 
I think I have got some work cut out for me!! 

Many Thanks in advance 

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 27 Jul 2023 16:56 #887662

• MrGMoto
  • User
Thank you for everyone's replies. I took another stab at the ye old cylinders today and managed to get the stuck piston out. It definitely needed some persuading for sure! Heat, penetrating spray, vingar and lotttssss more heat along with an almighty wack with a hammer and a big socket extension and she eventually broke free.

After taking my honing stones to the conflicting cylinder and touching the others up, i have now come to the realisation that that cylindar is as much use as a chocolate fireguard! 
After lots of head scratching and grunting, I have have 4 options. 

Option 1 - Find one NOS standard piston (provided the others clean up okay and I can get the rings out) then install three old pistons and one new piston with a set of new rings for all. Then get another 2nd hand cylinder as the current one is junk as S.T.D size won't fit , then hope the newer cylinders clean up okay (storage marks/ corrosion on pictures) and accept the new NOS standard and older pistons and rings but I can only currently find 2 new standard pistons.  
Option 2 - Get the current cylinder rebored to 0.040 as 0.020 i don't think will be enough as the corrosion is still bad after a heavy hone. Then get 0.040 O/S pistons. which i can find 4 off and a set of 0.040 O/S rings.   
Option 3 - Get the other 2nd had cylinder and rebore that one to 0.040 and slap the new 0.040 O/S pistons and rings in.
Option 4 - Find a 550 engine and relative bits and install that (This would mean it's no longer a true 400J )

I would be glad to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions. 
I think I have got some work cut out for me!! 

Many Thanks in advance 

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 27 Jul 2023 23:38 #887669

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1892
0.04 is 1mm so if the corrosion is less than 0.5mm deep you would be ok (the problem with another block is you can only see so much in a photo so don't really know what you getting) where did you manage to find oversize pistons ?

kawasaki Z400J - spare parts catalogue ? 28 Jul 2023 01:02 #887672

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1922
Attachments:

• Page: