Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New to this board 07 Jul 2006 20:52 #60103

• Kickinchicken
  • Kickinchicken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone I just picked up a 1979 Kz1000 shaft drive two weeks ago and I'm trying to iron out a few kinks

My bike was not running very good so I took it to my local bike shop and three hundred dollars later they sinc'd the carbs and put a sealer around the intake boots and replaced one plug although all four were black

It still runs like crap and my buddy said to try this water test. Take the bike for a short run and pour water on the exhaust pipes one cylinder is warm but not hot like the other three.

Here is my questions should I take the bike back to the shop....because in all honesty it works the same if not worse now and any ideas, but I dont want to be on the hook for more money. I gave the mechanic a list of the problems I didn't know if it was carb or electrical. I know I didn't give much info but if you hsve any ideas ask me any question so I can help you help me:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to this board 07 Jul 2006 21:07 #60105

• EddieBoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
congrats on the new bike! get a manual and read read read. will save you lots of $$$. at least if you understand whats wrong with your bike you will be more confident when speaking with your mechanic. if my wife calls the shop and asks for a quote for repairs then i called for a quote. my wifes quote will generally be more than mine. if you know what you need you generally get what u want. if you dont then you leave others to decide for you. and that costs more ultimately. :)

New to this board 07 Jul 2006 21:08 #60106

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
If they could not fix it the first time why in the world would you want them to mess it up some more? :)

First thing to do is get a manual if you don't already have one.

Next thing to do is either my list below, or WiredGeorge's list below that.

My list:

Start with the basics, since you just got the bike you need to do them anyway (beats hoofing it back home).

Check/adjust/replace the points and condensers.
Check the coils (requires multimeter, but they are cheap).
Check the resistance of the plug wires and plug caps.
Replace the spark plugs.
Check/adjust the valve clearance.

Only after doing all the above do you mess with the carbs

WiredGeorge's method:

1. CHECK COMPRESSION
2. CHECK VALVE CLEARANCES / CHECK CAM CHAIN TIMING
3. ADJUST CAM CHAIN TENSIONER, IF POSSIBLE
4. REPLACE PLUGS, PLUG WIRES/CAPS, CHECK COIL VOLTAGES
5. CLEAN/LUBE MECHANICAL IGNITION ADVANCE
6. SYNC CARBS AND ADJUST IDLE MIXTURE AND IDLE; INSTALL NEW FUEL FILTER AND REPLACE ANY FUEL LINES IF NEEDED, CLEAN PETCOCK AND TANK IF NECESSARY
7. DO CHASSIS RELATED STUFF BEFORE RIDING: CHANGE FLUIDS, LUBE CABLES AND INSPECT CABLE ENDS FOR FRAYING, CHECK TIRES FOR WEAR AND DRY ROT, CHECK CHAIN, CHECK BRAKE PADS

I would do the stuff above in the order I described. If you do some of the things out of order, you will be wasting your time... You must know that you have compression, good spark and of course, the proper air/fuel mix deliverd to the combustion chamber. Most folks want to jump on the bike and ride at that point but don't neglect safety items as well.

Both are in this Thread
KD9JUR

New to this board 07 Jul 2006 21:19 #60108

• Kickinchicken
  • Kickinchicken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I just bought a multimeter and I do have a manual however the manual come out in the 70's like the bike and I can't seem to understand how to test the coils or moreover what setting and where to probe.

Thanks for the advice. It doesn't have points its electronic. I did lube up the advancer and it moves freely I put new wire on it and plugs but one coil looks oe and I had to use ngk wire splicers to join the wires.

I just took out my plugs and they are all sooty again:woohoo: :pinch: :blink:

I'll keep plugin away Cheers

New to this board 10 Jul 2006 14:24 #60832

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
You could go broke taking a bike in with unspecific issues. Steell has it right. Try do as much as you can narrowing it down. Eventually you may need the services of a professional but when/if you go in have it narrowed down to a specific problem such as needs carb synch rather than runs like crap.

New to this board 10 Jul 2006 15:52 #60843

• kzmarvo
  • User
These folks on here could fix your bike info wise i'm sure. Get your hands dirty and have some fun, you are in kz knowledge HEAVEN!!!:P
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

New to this board 10 Jul 2006 17:31 #60870

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Remove all plug caps, trim 1/4" off each wire and screw caps back on to clean wire ends. Four NEW NGK B8ES plugs. removes, clean and reattach plug leads at the coil ends. Smear lead ends with a touch of vaseline before reattaching (no I didn't say re-inserting). DO WG COIL REWIRE. Good luck.

New to this board 10 Jul 2006 20:59 #60961

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Why vaseline? Sort of a dielectric compound effect? Ok and whats a WG coil rewire..(I'm afraid to ask):blush:
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• Page: