• Page:

TOPIC:

BROKEN RING 04 Jul 2006 15:05 #59321

• kawadruida
  • kawadruida's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
People:

While performing a full cylinder gasket change, specifically when putting the cylinder back on (what a pain in the neck...) I´ve just broken the 2nd compression ring of my 4th piston. It lost a little piece of about 0.5 mm from one of the ends.

I know that I can´t assemble the bike and run it with a broken ring, or can I?

Just for you to know, I have to sell this bike: my wifey´s expecting a baby and we´re gonna need the cash.

Can I put on new rings only in that piston, or should I perform a honing and put new rings on all 4 cylinders?

Please advice a poor biker from Latin America, where spare parts are hard to find and very expensive indeed!!

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BROKEN RING 05 Jul 2006 05:43 #59448

• kawadruida
  • kawadruida's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Sorry, the ring lost a piece of about 0,5 cm!!!

That´s much more that the 0,5 mm stated before.

C´mon guys, any help will be most appreciated!

Cheers.

BROKEN RING 05 Jul 2006 06:15 #59454

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You will get blow-by from that cylinder. I suspect that someone in the KZrider bunch will have a set of old rings that they could mail you the ring you need. I have DOZENS of sets of old rings hanging from nails for 900/1000 engines but doubt that will do you any good. If you can't find an old ring, I suspect that if you were to just replace the 2nd ring that was broken with only that ring, you could reassemble without honing and re-ringing the whole four pistons.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

BROKEN RING 05 Jul 2006 13:16 #59529

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Been there, done that, got the t shirt. TWICE. Just find you a ring of the same dimension and drop it in. You could run with the broken ring but I wouldn't advise it. It WILL smoke badly. Good luck. Take LOTS of time when you put the block back on. Very Very slowly, tiny bit at a time. Don't even think about forcing it.

• Page: