• Page:

TOPIC:

multiple issues? 29 Jun 2006 11:01 #58085

• EMNM30
  • EMNM30's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everybody!
Newbie here, but have had my license for just 2 years, but trying to learn more about my bike by reading posts. Well, since I don't want to risk fixing it myself I'll probably bring it somewhere, but wanted a few opinions before getting "taken for a ride" on my bill... :blink: but I want to ride on a safe bike.
So, I have a 1980 KZ650 F1:
1. I'm pretty sure it's the starter, all the lights work and I know it's a new battery, the electric start clicks, but doesn't want to start - at least it still has kickstart, which has been working better since I got it-it took about a 1/2 hour before I could kickstart it the first time. Althought the previous owner got it to electric start when I went to pick it up-strange. Spark plugs are new as well.
2. 1st gear, idle issues? have to pull on throttle a bit to keep running, or it just eventually dies. Sometimes will take off fine, dies right away, or it seems like it is going to go, but sputters and dies. I've had the last happen about 5 times in a row last night before I finally got it go again.
3. Also, pulling clutch in on the lower gears revs the engine really hard, the higher gears are very much smoother shifting-see my number 5 below. Gears are points, and the PO said he did have to get a used "new" points at a bike yard (or it was the cover for it, don't recall clearly), but I'm sure it's not as good as a real new part. Lower gears (mainly 1-3) are also hard to shift sometimes-harder than the higher gears.
4. I think the hazards just need to be wired since all the other lights work-that really puzzles me.
5. Higher speeds 60-65, engine has really loud whirring sound-not whining yet, just seems louder than it should be, although it is 20 odd years old.
6. Along with my #3 above: last night-this is the first time it has done this- I took off from a light, but it decided not to want to excelerate at all. I think I shifted up neutral from 1st when it started doing this, then 2nd, then back down to 1st then it decided to excelerate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

multiple issues? 29 Jun 2006 11:41 #58096

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Well, you have the choice of spending $100's-$1000's for work that may or may not have been done right, or fixing it yourself (with the help of KZR) for a whole lot less money and knowing the job was done right

Add your location to your sig, it may be surprisingly helpful

Then start off with one problem at a time, unless it appears that two problems are related.

We can help you along the path to KZ Nirvana, but you have to take the first step, and help us help you :D

Just some free advice to help you along.

(1) Don't even mess with the carbs, just take them off and send them to Wiredgeorge (He is a member and easily located), he sends them back, you stick them back on the bike and don't have to deal with them again.

(2) Buy a Factory Service Manual for your bike.

(3) Do a complete tune up while you are waiting for the carbs to arrive from Wiredgeorge.

(4) Clean every single electrical connection on the bike.

(5) Do a clutch adjustment, incredibly easy and will probably take care of your shifting problems.

That will probably take care of most of your problems, and cost you less than $300 :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/29 14:51
KD9JUR

multiple issues? 29 Jun 2006 11:48 #58099

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
1. I'm pretty sure it's the starter, all the lights work and I know it's a new battery, the electric start clicks, but doesn't want to start - at least it still has kickstart, which has been working better since I got it-it took about a 1/2 hour before I could kickstart it the first time. Althought the previous owner got it to electric start when I went to pick it up-strange. Spark plugs are new as well.

Make sure all the terminals are clean and tight. Your bike has a starter lock out and requires the clutch to be pulled in to start. Let's start with that. If the previous owner could start it it's proberbly something simple.

multiple issues? 29 Jun 2006 15:16 #58123

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
There's also a starter relay in the system. Follow the positive wire from the battery, and you'll find it. If the relay is shot, then your starter won't turn.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

multiple issues? 29 Jun 2006 16:29 #58137

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
you might add your location to your sig someone local might help you fix it
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

multiple issues? 29 Jun 2006 19:48 #58170

• EMNM30
  • EMNM30's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks everyone so far that has responded, I just added my location-shows in my original post now as well, Minneapolis, MN.
So, yes I got the service manual, I've been reading it off and on when I come across things on my bike that don't seem normal. I'm just afraid of taking it apart and having it in pieces so long that I won't ever get it together again-I guess that's what MN winter's are for, but it's still B**CH a** cold in the garage!
As I said before, I'm a total newbie, so I don't know quite where to start-I'm taking this next week for vacation, so I'll bring my book along to figure out what I need to take off to get at certain things-wiring, carbs, clutch,etc. as you have mentioned. But yes, I knew to pull in the clutch to use the electric start button, but it still just clicks and doesn't want to start, this much I knew
:laugh:

I will check with Wiredgeorge when I get back around the 7th on the carbs. I suppose it isn't good -nor safe- if it's having issues to ride the bike until I get things fixed - or does it just make things worse? What all is involved when you say a "complete tune up"?

thanks again,
Emily

multiple issues? 29 Jun 2006 20:34 #58178

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
On a 1980 KZ650F1 a complete tune-up would involve replacing the points and condensors (2 of each), replacing the spark plugs, checking the resistance of the coils/coil wires/spark plug caps to ensure they are within specs,stting the ignition timing, and checking/adjusting the valve clearance. Sending the carbs to wiredgeorge to be cleaned/rebuilt eliminates a lot of complications.

Most important advice I can offer is to do one thing at a time. Fix one problem before going to the next, there are to many basketcase KZ's out there already.

I think we have a couple of members that live in the Twin Cities area.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/29 23:35
KD9JUR

multiple issues? 30 Jun 2006 06:30 #58233

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Hi Emily! Just a suggestion... you have a number of likely unrelated issues that need to be addressed. You might want to bite off pieces as small bits would be easier to chew. As with any older KZ, certain issues need to be address FIRST and then work your way through them... some will SEEM like they are higher importance since kicking a bike to start it is a pain, but the basic safety issues are really more important. Most of the folks here have address function issues which do equate to safety but also tires, brakes, cables, the chain and bearings are even more fundemental. You are capable of assessing the condition of the tires yourself using the same sort of standard as you would for a car tire but on an older bike, watch for cracking in the sidewall; a sure sign of dryrot since the bike has been sitting a portion of its life. The brake pads should be looked at and glazing/wear noted and replaced, if necessary. The cable ends should be examined for fraying. They generally chaff and then break where the connectors are soldered onto the ends. If they look OK, you had best lubricate the cables. There is a tool you can buy at most bike shops for this. You pull the cable out and expose some cable and put it in the tool which you tighten over the exposed part. Then, you spray lube into a hole in the side of the tool and it forces the lube down the shielding to coat the whole cable. The chain should be looked at carefully. Put the bike on centerstand and turn the rear wheel looking for any "tight spots". A chain will tend to bind some as it ages and stretches. Once stretched, it will quickly ruin your drive sprockets and could potentially snap. Your manual will give you specifics on tensioning the chain and lubing it. This is MOST important to safe operation. Bearings are harder to assess for a new owners... a funny wobble when you take off? A snick when you turn the handlebars? A funny noise when you push the bike coming from the front or rear wheel? All signs of bad bearings. Bearings are fairly easily replaced and inexpensive but good bearings make the bike operate a whole lot smoother. When I do a project bike, I just buy new wheel, swingarm and steering head bearings and replace all of them as a matter of course. Once you have the basic safety stuff under your belt, next step will be maintenance items which involve changing all fluids (a do-it-yourself project) and basic tune up. It would also be beneficial for you to start a SEPARATE thread on the starter issue (and just the starter issue) in the electrical section. A starter problem is fairly easy to diagnose.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: